• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Holes in powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep powder in them.

Sorry if this seems trite. I have not had a problem with bugs boring holes in my powder horns (knock on wood) so far. But, all my horns are filled. Could just be chance though. I can't recall anyone with powder in their horns saying bugs still ate them when this has come up before.

Other possible solutions.
Permethrin, spray your horns with it.
Pack them away in sealed containers with pieces of cedar?

There were two horns that something bored into 1st was a small priming horn that was full of 4f it was in my workshop/ shed. The other is one I made for my daughter around 17 years ago it was hanging up in my rec room it was empty. I have other horns that I do use (not as often as I’d like ) that have powder in then that were untouched in the same room. I always liked her little horn and bag hanging up I will put some powder in it see if that helps although they did bore into the full priming horn .
Thanks for the advise

Attachments

• 349F93C1-5CEA-416B-B7C7-FD088E1DF802.jpeg
    349F93C1-5CEA-416B-B7C7-FD088E1DF802.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 0C5D1408-0C4B-4988-83AC-7A06827BA2A3.jpeg
    0C5D1408-0C4B-4988-83AC-7A06827BA2A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
There were two horns that something bored into 1st was a small priming horn that was full of 4f it was in my workshop/ shed. The other is one I made for my daughter around 17 years ago it was hanging up in my rec room it was empty. I have other horns that I do use (not as often as I’d like ) that have powder in then that were untouched in the same room. I always liked her little horn and bag hanging up I will put some powder in it see if that helps although they did bore into the full priming horn .
Thanks for the advise
Wow! I like that horn you made for your daughter, very nice work.
I absolutely can not stand even the slightest whif of moth balls or crystals, but I am wondering if putting some of the crystals in the horn would take care of the problem and not cause an odor of them in the room.

Thanks for the advise
Never seen that before, except on very old horns. Semper Fi.

The little buggers (carpet beetles?) ate holes in one of my older horns when it was packed away and empty. I patched the holes with epoxy, both JB Weld and the Harbor Freight variety. After the "globs" of epoxy dried I had intended to sand them down even with the surface of the horn. I did a little but had a change of plans. T
16735650381005076256767688066377.jpg
he nobs leave me with a "non-slip grip". I like it, it has character plus it's a one- of-a-kind pattern.

I've never had that problem. However, I did get a horn one time that already had several small holes in it. I made it into a powder horn and I filled the holes simply by holding a lighted candle over the holes so that the melted wax would drop in and fill the hole. Then I could just scrape off the excess wax with my fingernail.
I used that horn for years with no problems.
I also seal the edge between the horn and the wooden butt cap with the wax. Just to be sure.
Of course, make sure there is no powder in the horn when you hold a lighted candle over it.!!!!!!!

Wow! I like that horn you made for your daughter, very nice work.
I absolutely can not stand even the slightest whif of moth balls or crystals, but I am wondering if putting some of the crystals in the horn would take care of the problem and not cause an odor of them in the room.
Sounds like a good idea I will have to try that on her horn as it never gets used .

Thanks,
Trinity

What do you dye them with?
When I build one I normally dye it with feiblings leather dye. I then wax the horn, I do think that, either or both of these steps, helps greatly in keeping the bugs away. I have a horn that I made nearly 30 years ago and it seems to be bug free. I don’t want to toot my own horn too loudly as I don’t want an issue with bugs! But that has been my experience.

Back