• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hit my danged head the other day,,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riarcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
,,,,, and started thinking about my shooting.
Came up with the conclusion I'm pittyful slow! :redface:
My "range sessions" usually run about 3 hrs. When "buisy shooting" I may squeeze off 20 rounds (about 15 the more normal). That's about 1 round every 12 minutes :eek: or figuring allowances for "the bull", set-up / pack-up, and take-a-break(s)about 1 every 3 minutes.
Cutting patch at the muzzle, measuring load, damp swab between shots, cap and all, is that slow or what? :snore:
Is this normal? ::

Well, are you having a good time and learning as you go? This to me is all about, fun, plus getting to be a better shot and learning the science of what can make it better.

"normal" is a relative thing...how much time between shots probably varies a lot depending on what's driving your range trip...you might be with others and the range trip is more of a social outing than a focused practice session.

My motor runs pretty fast and I shoot alone...about 10 minutes to set up, about an hour to work through my usual 40 shots, 5 minutes to field clean the rifle for the drive home, 10 minutes to pick up targets and gear, etc.

At least the way my motor runs today, I couldn't stand it if the range session was a several hour event...so "normal" is a relative thing.

PS: I take my 40 powder charges to the range with me, already pre-measured in 35mm film canisters which saves a lot of time at the range...and not having to wipe between shots saves a lot of other time as well.

No. That's abought right. I'll spend a Saturday morning and might shoot 20 times in three hours. "Course, I walk in between targets of opportunity and might cover two or three miles in that time. :winking:

Target shooting I probably take a minute or two between shots. More often, I shoot five in less than five minutes and then reload my loading block - which takes three or four minutes.

I never really timed myself, except when I was trying for five shots in a minute with my Bess. Can be done, but . . . Whew!

Everyone has their own pace... What I do is give myself thirty minutes to shoot five shot relay's at 25, 50, and 100 yards... I take a thirty minute break in between relays to recover/score/reset a fresh target/and clean my rifle for the next relay... I guess I spend close to three hours at the range for 15 shots??? When I'm just out plinking at gongs and such I spend about the same amount of time for 20 to 30 shots... I do most of my shooting by myself... Sometimes my neighbor joins me at the range and it gives me a chance to build him up, then tear him down... He expects it and we've been laughing about this for near eleven years now... ::

I am not a speed demon when it come to black powder shooting. I take my time. I swab between shots. I walk to the targets and check them after every shot.

Last week I was out pounding lead from the inlines in the heat, and learned that speed does not help accuracy on a hot day.

It takes me well over two hours to do my range shooting and that does not include set up or cleaning. Of course my range is 20 yards outside the back door, so it makes it a little easier on me.

When I am outside shooting I am most relaxed, so I guess time really means nothing to me... ::

It's a slow sport. I swab twixt shots shots too and that does slow things down a bit more, but pulling a stuck ball makes things much slower.
My range is 5 feet from my garage door so travel time is rather short. Setting up the chrono takes a little time to.
20 to 30 shots is a LOT of shooting with a muzzle loader for me.
I'm taking next week off and intend to finally shoot the birddog6 .40 flinter, get some chrono results and see what she'll do on paper.
Need to get my garden in too, but it's stormed 'bout everyday in N.E. Ohio for the past 10 weeks.
Just a couple days ago it rained so hard that my pool overflowed, about 4 inches of rain in less than an hour.
Anyone know how to build an ark?

I usually shoot about 20 shots in 2 hours at the range. With time spent shooting the bull and such I don't feel like I am rushing or slacking. It's not a speed game. If t was, we'd be shooting centerfire.

Huntin

Shooting was, and still is for most part, a social event...

Rendezvous had shooting events to hone and show off your skills, there were shooting parlors and gun clubs as well throughout the golden era of muzzleloading...

War is about the only real reason I can think of to shoot hastily, other than that, relax and enjoy yourselves...

The time I spend at the range averages about 2 hours.
I usually get off about 25 to 35 shots during that time.
Of course the range is shut down about every 15-20 minutes for about 5 minutes so people can change their targets etc.

I really don't hurry my shooting because I'm there for my own enjoyment.

Me too......I take my time[url] shooting.......ain[/url]'t that why we shoot B/P?.......If I wanted to shoot fast I'd shoot my SKS.....enjoy life....what's the rush.....john.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I went to shoot with my brother-in-law and son, we had been out about an hour or so and saw the rain coming across the bottoms. Packed everything away and went in the house just in time for the rain to start, 1 1/2 " in 45 minutes, hail from pea size to golf ball size. :shocking:
That's about the only reason I've had to hurry when shooting. We usually shoot until one of our flasks goes empty (25-30 shots each). We have stayed out for up to 4 hours. The boy usually doesn't last that long, he shoots until his shoulder starts getting sore. Gonna have to toughen that boy up some. ::

Back