• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historically correct? Pedersoli Bounty 16" barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Were there originals with such long barrels back in 1600s - 1800s?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1023107852?pid=212528
YPIimA8.png

Yep. In the south c1800-1870 bear pistols were fairly common. They were used in conjunction with treeing dogs for moving fast in the thick brush after black bears.

I'm currently building a 'bear pistol' with an 18" barrel 15/16" ATF .50 cal. because the gentleman I got it from here on the forum had cut down a TC barrel and set it up for a left handed flintlock. After much sweat and cursing and searching of soul, I re-breached it with a flint style plug and installed a drum and nipple set up, right handed. I inletted the barrel into a Pecatonica River precarved Kentucky pistol stock ( I ordered a plain stock and got about a 3+ curly rock maple, no extra charge!) which left a lot of barrel hanging out the front. I scavenged a somewhat aged rifle under rib and soldered a hunk of it onto the barrel, which already had sights, making a long half stock from hell. I modified the lock plate on a Siler large traditional percussion lock and inletted it, with a side plate of the southern mountain rifle style. I shaped the grip to a later more rounded butt, and installed a brass flash cup around the cone. I am about to order a trigger guard and thimbles from Stonewall Outfitters and I'm probably going to go with German silver, I don't care for brass too much, especially on a Southren gun. I can't wait to finish this thing and shoot it, it should handle a rifle load of powder and patched .490 RB. It will probably rattle the ears off a wooden jackass, LOL! Of course I must make a leather flap style carrying case for it to keep it safe in the sticks, and am thinking about inletting some silver escutcheons for the wedge in the fore end and perhaps a silver thumb piece and maybe a shell carving around the tang. Don't want too much, just a touch of backwoods class, LOL! I'm learning to take pictures with my daughter's donated cellphone, so maybe, just maybe, you'll get to see it finished. Yep, old timers did build them. A friend of mine here in the Ozarks has one his daddy had in the family. It's percussion, .45 IIRC, and a remarkably 'Colt revolver' style grip on the walnut full stock, about a 16" 7/8ths ATF barrel. Very nice.

Last edited:
Back