• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historical Information on TC Products

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Rummer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a source of technical information for TC and CVA products that are no longer in production. The manufacturer's websites don't have that information any more.

Todays problem is "What is the twist rate on a TC Big Bore 58 cal rifle made a long time ago with a serial number in the 1100-1200 range?"

I ordered mine from the Log Cabin Shop a feeeewww years back--serial number range 6700.I know that it is 1-48".Be nice to find out if it is the same as the older ones :hmm:

KV Rummer said:
Is there a source of technical information for TC and CVA products that are no longer in production. The manufacturer's websites don't have that information any more.

Todays problem is "What is the twist rate on a TC Big Bore 58 cal rifle made a long time ago with a serial number in the 1100-1200 range?"

To find the ROT, push a tight patch, on a jag, all of the way into the breech. Wrap a piece of tape around your ramrod, close to the muzzle, so the tail of the tape is pointing to the top flat of the barrel. Pull the jag out of the bore until the "flag" points to the opposite flat of the barrel. Measure the length of rod sticking out of the muzzle, to the tape. Double that measurement to get the ROT.

For future reference, T/C customer service would be able to handle those kinds of questions for sure...and in this specific case, I happen to know that the T/C standard 28" .58cal barrel has a 1:48" twist, both cap & flint

Thank you. I have been browsing the Auction Arms and Gunbroker websites and most of the sellers don't seem to know or care what the twist is. In either case they don't often include it in the description but twist is a piece of essential information for my purchasing decision.

KV Rummer said:
Thank you. I have been browsing the Auction Arms and Gunbroker websites and most of the sellers don't seem to know or care what the twist is. In either case they don't often include it in the description but twist is a piece of essential information for my purchasing decision.
With the occasional exceptions where an alternate barrel twist choice was offerred (ie: Scout, White Mountain Carbine, etc)...T/C's "standard barrels" have the 1:48: twist to shoot both PRBs and conicals very well...and T/C's "round ball barrels" have the 1:66" twist

I have bought a few rifles off of those sites. You can get some good deals at times, but you have to know what you are looking at. If you are not sure, come here and ask. I got my .54 T/C Hawkens from one of those and for a good price :thumbsup: .

Back