• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

historical builds (redux)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought this might be a fun and elicudating excercise if everyone contributed to the steps in building a longrifle in the 1700s.
for example:
step one: harvesting the stock wood (quarter saw and season)

If we disect the individual processes, in their historical context, we might gain insights into the rifle's place in history and have some fun to boot.

Rich Pierce said:
We need a logger for the tree cutting and a sawyer for the pit saw to cut the logs into blanks.
The local sawmill then to provide the Gunsmith with his supply of stock material.

Don't forget the surveyors, prospectors, and speculators who enabled the land containing the forests and future mines to be put into production.

Miners, depending on firearm type, region, etc. We'll need some copper, iron, and probably some tin as well.

I'm still wondering what kind of exercise elicudating is. I'm thinking it's one of those TV celebrity work out tape things and I hate to work out.

martiniarms said:
Don't forget the surveyors, prospectors, and speculators who enabled the land containing the forests and future mines to be put into production.

Miners, depending on firearm type, region, etc. We'll need some copper, iron, and probably some tin as well.
definately a community effort. aquisition of raw materials was definately very important, and if the community happened to have iron production nearby then bonus!
however as a colony (prerevolt)our production was extremely limited. we had to import many of our items from England. I wonder just how much of a rifle was fabricated?
regardless, definately shaping up to be a community project.

Keb said:
I'm still wondering what kind of exercise elicudating is. I'm thinking it's one of those TV celebrity work out tape things and I hate to work out.

Elucidating? Ain't that where police charge speeders for running away?

Got it pegged. Remember the story of the poor shoe maker and the little elves who secretely visited his shop at night? Well, there you go!

hanshi said:
Keb said:

Elucidating? Ain't that where police charge speeders for running away?

Got it pegged. Remember the story of the poor shoe maker and the little elves who secretely visited his shop at night? Well, there you go!
thanks Hanshi, without opposable thumbs, the letters get a bit jumbled! :grin:

Back