• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hi. New girl on the forums.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I am Cynthia. I have been a black powder pistol shooter on and off since I was 14 when my daddy finaly broke down and let me shoot his .44 colt clone from Uberti I think it was. He kept a .50 Hawken or Plains rifle clone from CVA on the mantle for years. It was so long ago I can't remember the exact make of the piece. I do remember him refusing me the privilage of shooting it. Said it was to much gun for me... :yakyak:
Well just recently I got my hands on a Hawken .50 from Thompson that was made in the late 70's or early 80's. The old gentelman I got this rifle from used it to hunt Elk for many years and he took very good care of it. This weekend I did my research and watched a number of you tube videos of guys shooting their smoke poles and I ponied up the guts to load and fire the beast.
I now know why my daddy wouldn't let me shoot it as a kid. :haha:
I have fired it a number of times this weekend and I can actually handle it so long as I don't go over 80 grains of Pyro. (note to self: pyrodex stinks, get some real honest to god black powder)
The one nice thing about getting this rifle from that old dude he already found it's sweet spot load which after toying around with some heavier loads (to see if I can handle it) I tried his recomended load out and was rather pleased with the beast.

Personaly I like the feel and aura of an old school firearm like the black powder weapons. I like the intent of them, they may have been weapons of war at one time; but with the advent of modern weapons they are only useful to the hunter and target shooter. And me when I spot a coyote eyeing my flock of birds.

Some day I hope to get ahold of a blunderbus. I have wanted one since I was a child about 8 or 9. Something about all that deadly brass just catches my eye. I figure that for home security ranges of damn near point blank for every room in my home, a load of buck and ball would end most issues fast.

I know that I am an oddity being a lady BP shooter but here I am!

hugz to all,
Cyndi

Hi Cyndi,

Welcome! Lots of fine people here and they are more than willing to help if you have any questions or problems.

But, a word of warning, they are also very willing to help you spend your money...

Always pleased to see a lady who can enjoy the lure of the black powder. My daughters and grand daughters all enjoy making smoke. The great grand daughters are not quite big enough to shoot alone , but pester me to let them fire the bp guns while I hold them. Keep us posted on your progress and some photos of your new shiny blunderbus when you get it. WELCOME to the forums.
:thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Welcome, my daughter comes and shoots with me once in a while so maybe she will follow your lead as an adult. Black Powder stinks too, just a slightly different stink.

Hi Cyndi,
Happy to have a new voice among us.
And sure enough there is always a place for a women's point of view.
Stay with us and don't let this gang of "BUZZARDS" get you down. Their bark is worse than their bite.
Old Ford

Welcome to the "family" of muzzle loader shooters. And no, I wouldn't say you are an "oddity", there are several women shooters here.....just not as many as guys! I'm glad you got your wish of having a black powder gun of your own. Of course, you know that the black powder bite is usually for life, so you will soon have more than just a single gun.
TheBlackPowderbug-1.jpg

Hi guys!

I am ok with the black powder stink, that pyrodex smells like something that came from the devils hind quarters when you start to clean up after shooting.
I got a large can of pyrodex with the rifle and figured I would give it a go as it means I don't have to buy powder. But after cleaning after the stuff I am thinkling I will spend the cash for some real old school powder. Probably today.

I do not have any pictures of my pieces but if you have seen an 1851 colt knock off by Pietta in .454 (confederate brass frame type) then you have seen my pistol. And if you have seen a T/C Hawken .50 then you have seen my rifle. Both are in very good condition. I do need to get a new nipple on the rifle, but that should be done by the end of the day. The one on it seems fine, but with an older used piece I want to be sure. No telling how many rounds that nipple has seen.

I have the butt stock for the pietta, but I haven't replaced the hammer pin as I am not skilled to do it and I don't have the tools even if I had the skill. I keep meaning to take it to a gun smith to do it for me, but I just keep forgeting it or end up spending all my cash before I remember. :doh:

If I ever do get a blunderbuss I'll be sure to show it off. They are just so hard to find. Folks who buy them tend to not sell them, so geting a used piece that is serviceable is like finding hens teeth. (my sweety limits me to barter trades only, so used is my search parameter)

Only black powder fire arms get my attention. Something about the need to get it right on the first go is apealing. Even with a bp six gun the idea of missing is very unapealing due to the length of time it takes to reload, so one tends to be sure of the shot before taking it. Daddy always said that BP encourages good marksmanship.

Anyways, I can ramble on and on...
sorry

:)

Welcome from the Treasure Coast of Florida! My first muzzleloader was a T.C. Hawken .50 my dad gave me for my 13th Christmas (in 1978). Still have it, of course, and still shoot it. Glad you found this camp - feel free to ask questions and share your muzzleloading experiences :hatsoff:

Welcome!
You'll also find BP less prone to moisture problems. The substitutes are okay, but nothing is as good as the real stuff, IMHO!

Hi Ms Cynthia, glad to have you with us. I am married with a wife, 2 daughters, and 3 grandaughters. yep all my adult women shoot too. We have a diverse range of members here on the forum. From target shooters , hunters and pure reinactors The most of us do a little of both hunting and reinacting. there are a nunber of excellent builders and gunsmiths on the forum ( I gunsmith). judging by your opening post, tyhe paper punching and perhaps hunting appeals to you most. Get your sweetie interested in bp, he will get hooked, and then you can get him to get you another gun for them there special ocasions. You do know that you ladies have to get us men trained. At my house I always get the last word in YES DEAR after 41 years I am trained real good. he haw yours hounddog

A girl you say? You IS somethin' o' a rarity! Ain't too many o' yer kind hereabouts. Leastways not that I knows of. :haha:

All kidding aside, welcome. :hatsoff:

Welcome!
My wife doesn't shoot, so I did a sneaky thing and took my granddaughter shooting...she fired her first shots ever from a .51 Navy and loves it!
Who the hell needs Home Ec anyway? :rotf:

Welcome to the Forum Cyndi. :hatsoff:

Don't feel bad about bein' an "oddity"... most everybody on here is! :haha:

Seriously, there are several ladies who shoot very well in the group I run with. The guys better be on their game or they get out-shot pretty bad. Even happens plenty often when we ARE!

welcome aboard where abouts in ne wash i get over to spokane, pomeroy, clarkston area from time to time I just built my daughter in law a new flinter she can outshoot my son with it
stickwalker

Latest posts

Back