• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hey Zonie & Other smart guys.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie,

I use a wad with my Walker and a 50 grain charge of 3Fg Goex. Never had a problem with balls jumping during recoil. If your theory were true, the Magnum-type charge would surely exploit the problem, no? :hmm:

I do use a home-made loading stand and do use quite a bit of seating presuure for more uniform shot-to-shot groups, which probably negates the ball jumping too!

I always use wads, never use grease. My guns don't eat cereal, only Goex and Lead :rotf: .

Dave

I have a Ruger old army that has one chamber in the cylinder that the ball will jump froward and lock up the gun. It is a poor job Of boring the chamber. I have found no way to fix it. I just line it up so as to fire that chamber first. Lost a lot of respect for ruger.
Old Charlie

Contact Ruger and arrange to send the gun to them. They will make it right, no questions asked.

Rebel said:
A Pietta '58 Remmy is what i am going to replace this pile of junk with. Should have never sold the last one i had. It was the most accurate revolver i think i have ever shot, centerfire or C&B

You shall get no argument from this corner... Most accurate C&B that I've ever shot was a Pietta 1858 "Texas" Remington revolver (Cabela's). Despite it having a brass frame (I personally liked the two-tone effect--whether or not the brass frame is actually weaker--it surely was a good looking pistol.) I had even thought of buying a stainless steel cylinder to give it a really striking 3-tone effect. (The price was too high.)

Anyway, sorry for the digression there...

Using approx 25gr of Pyrodex P (It preferred it over real black powder by a considerable margin!) with Hornady .454 round balls, plain old generic vegetable shortening over the balls, and Remington #11 caps. I could take the gun at 15 yds off-hand and cut a 1 x 8 plank in two--walking the shots' impact from one edge to the other. The sights were "dead pecans" right on! At 25yds benched it would cut a single ragged hole that was the diameter of a golf ball.

Don't know how long the brass frame will survive at that loading, but there hasn't been any problems yet. The gun is probably about 8yrs old now and gets shot frequently enough--that if damage was going to show up, I thought it would have by now.

I'd still like to get a steel frame Pietta or Uberti someday--just to have "in case", plus a brass framed Remington isn't correct. Seems all I ever spend money on is gasoline and milk... and every time that I get a decent amount of change in the big glass jar, one of the kids wants it. Maybe next year...

Regards, and shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

25 grs. won't hurt that brass-framed Rem. a bit Hillbilly. I have had 3 brass-framed 'Buffalo' 12" barrel Piettas and shot that load for practice continuously with no ill effect. I shot maybe 2-300 loads at 35 grs. and no ill effect. I'm thinking 100's of max charges or more before the brass-frame would loosen any. the top-strap design is strong enough to handle it. I used that load when I went bear hunting with buddys that have dogs for it. So that is what I practiced with occasionally.

Back