• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hershel House Passed Tonight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting pics put up on the fb page

417419443_338443502450213_3965742900626416529_n.jpg

In the mid-70's I got into muzzleloading. Started with a Thompson Center 54 Hawken like a lot of others. I was stationed at Fort Campbell at the time. As my interest in the mountain man grew I wanted a full stock flintlock. So one winter I bought a giant block of walnut, a long 1 1/8" 54 cal barrel, a lock, triggers, and all the iron components and spent the winter carving on that walnut and hand swamping the barrel in our living room. It was ugly but boy could it shoot, weighing in at 12 pounds. I went to Friendship a couple of times and perhaps that's where I was introduced to the AMM, I don't really remember. I was invited to join and had a blast improving my knowledge, my clothes, everything, and of course hanging out with my brothers at Eastern Rendezvous and just get togethers in the hills of Kentucky. Finest men I've ever known to be sure.

Apparently eventually one or more of my brothers took pity on me and introduced me to Hershel House. The name meant nothing to me at the time but I sure drooled over his work. In particular a 54 long rifle that he'd built. Of course I was just a poor Sergeant in the Army, no way I could buy this thing of beauty. And that's when one of my AMM brothers stepped in and loaned me the money. You can imagine how proud, thrilled, and greatful I was to go from my ugly creation to his work of art.

Of course all things come to an end. I left the Army and became even poorer and had to sell that rifle along with the one I'd built and the Thompson Center, along with my entire outfit. No idea what became of it.

Hershel is now with the other members of my brigade that have gone under, all good friends for sure. One of these years it will be my honor to join them.

I am very saddened to hear of the passing of Hershel House. In 1980 I first started in muzzle loading, and naturally read as much as I could on the subject. One of the first modern builders I read about was Hershel House, whom from what I read was as great a shot as he was a builder. His name and reputation, though I never had the honor to meet him or even hold one of his creations, has always remained with me through the years. My condolences to his family and all who personally knew him. May he rest in peace.

My brother told me yesterday morning. Like many, I was a friend if his in Facebook and a member of his fb group. To me, he’s still the young guy where I first saw him in foxfire 5, which I got when it first came out. We’re all getting old.

Since Fox Fire Five Hershel was always the person I looked to for any muzzleloader information. Met Hershel several years ago at the CLA show. He was a true gentleman and not one once of ego. He enjoyed so much in helping others. Many could learn from his kindness. RIP Hershel

One of the greatest rifle builders of the modern era..Sure would have loved to own one of his rifles but there's no way I could have afforded it...Sorry to say I never had the honor of meeting the gentleman but I have a friend who did..May he rest in peace

I've been reading tributes to the man here and on other forums and have nothing to add that hasn't been said by so many. He is gone but, truly not forgotten.
RIP Sir.

My eyes were dry and I was getting ready to put drops in them. Then I read about a true master passing and I don't need the eye drops now. I have admired his work for decades and folks will still admire his work for decades to come. Rest in Peace Hershel ya done good.

Back