• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hen pheasant success

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brokennock

Cannon
Reaction score
I rarely hunt pheasant with my flintlock. Other than archery deer hunting, it is the only hunting I still do, that I don't use one for. Too many factors to list go into that decision.
Anyway the gun was loaded for small game after a recent scout with no shots fired and needed to be unloaded so I brought it along on the last few bird hunts with my dad and our dog.
Success yesterday, 1st bird pointed and flushed of the day,

20201107_135409.jpg20201107_132554.jpg20201107_132601.jpg
Kind of hot for the season Saturday,
20201107_133408.jpg
20201107_133547.jpg
A whole lot of missing went on after this, on the part of all humans involved,

20201107_141353.jpg

Thank you gentlemen.

That dog lives for 2 things, lovin, and huntin,,,,, well and treats so 3 things. When not in the field he demands almost constant runs and scratches, if your eating something, he expects some. That all changes when it's time to hunt. Get him in the field and he won't take even his favorite treats, or hold still long enough for some love.

He would have literally hunted himself to death in the heat of we let him.

Springer Spaniel? Nice looking dog. I really enjoyed last year's late season after birds with my fowling piece, my buddy, and his two master class dogs (one Weimaraner and a Brittany). It was just too much fun.

Brockennock

A nice bird please enlighten my curiosity was it a sporting shot on the wing or a pot hunters sitting shot , no offence
Feltwad

i didnt know you could shoot hen phasants anywheres? never been able to in the midwestern states that are full of pheasants.

Here in PA you can. The Game Commission has pretty much given up on trying to build a sustainable population again. Habitat has been lost in many locations. With that in mind, they stock birds on game lands and we can hunt either sex now.

i didnt know you could shoot hen phasants anywheres? never been able to in the midwestern states that are full of pheasants.
Stocked birds, so, doesn't matter. They aren't going to get a chance to hold over and breed anyway. Too many predators in too small an area.
Same reason we don't have many pahtridge left.

I was hunting pheasants with my godson and his shorthair Friday afternoon and told him i need a flintlock for this. He laughed at me. He said to me one time “ you dont care to shoot to much do you? You use a muzzleloader for squirrels and a recurve for deer”

well done. Id like to do that. Nice pup too. I grew up with a Britt. Super dogs!!

Congrats to the pooch for finding the bird and giving you the opportunity. Oh and to you as well for making the shot - LOL

Congrats to the pooch for finding the bird and giving you the opportunity. Oh and to you as well for making the shot - LOL
Thanks. The pooch does a lot better than his humans. No issues with him finding birds, if they are there, Truro will find them, however we do sometimes have listening issues and issues with staying close enough for the humans to do there part, and holding a point long enough for us to catch up. But, that is our fault for lack of training discipline.

20201107_091756.jpg20201107_091819.jpg

Tough to discipline that face.

Oh, and I didn't put my leg up on him, he wormed his way there for morning loves while I was having my coffee.

Latest posts

Back