• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with the mirror shooting trick please?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I am putting together a shoot program for this Spring, and am considering the old shooting with a mirror trick as an event, like Annie Oakley used to perform.

I am concerned about trying this with muzzleloaders however. Do you consider the lock going off so close to the shooters face, and with the hammer falling TOWARD the shooters face, to be a hazard to the shooter?

If you have any experience with this with muzzleloaders, please tell me about it.

I've a bunch of years shootin novelty targets at `vous and those guy's have thrown just about everything out there, but I can't remember ever doin that one.
Flintlocks would be out of it no matter what shoulder a feller uses.
A guy could use the off shoulder with a capper, but the hammer/nipple would still be either right by or in front of the face.
Gotta be a reason folks don't do it.

The only thing close is a couples/partner shoot where one person shoulders and pulls the trigger, but another person stands behind the shoulder sighting and giving directions where to move and when to pull the trigger.

It is fairly easy to do with a flintlock as the rifle will be pointed downrange behind you it will be resting on your left shoulder ( for right handed shooters ) The flash from the pan is further away from your face than when you shoot it normally. Line up your sight picture the same way in the mirror as you do shooting normally.

"HEY PA!"

"Did you see that guy doing that 'trick shootin'?

"He was holding a flintlock on his shoulder pointing backwards an' holdin' a mirror.
When it went off you should have seed it!
That big flash done set his head on fire!

Kinda a "POOF", "BOOM", "POOF". It sure was neat.

Specially the part where he dunked his head in the rainbarrel to put the fire out."

:rotf:

We've done the shot with 22's, when you go over your shoulder the most comfortable place is the balance point of the rifle being center on the shoulder,, it's just comfy there.
When you do that with an ML, the lock is about 4"s in front of your face,, then in the case of a rock tosser (even cappers) you have everything coming at your face :(

You might be able to do it on a bench.
Instead of seating behind the rifle,, seat facing the side of it while it's setting on bag's,
Then have a mirror at a 45°(or close) behind the rifle. The shooter would then have to look at the mirror, down the barrel and at the target.

"Well Billy. Ye was wrong 'bout him sittin' his har on far.

I went an talked to him.
Turns out he warn't no dummy after all.

He war wearin' ole' Iggie on his head. Ye remembers his ole' 'coon Iggie don't ye?

Wal, when Iggie died he went an made a coon skin cap out of him an he war wearin' it when he did that shootin trick.

Turns out ole' Ignatius lived up to his name.

On the good side, he ended up sellin what was left of ole' Iggie to some big city guy. Told him it war made out of one of those rare hairless coons that use the smell of burnt har to drive off their enemy's."

if ya need a trick shot for yer repertory maybe splittin' a ball on an axe & bustin' two balloons with one shot would work better & be a bit kinder on yer follicles & eardrums.

Trick shots only work if you know the trick and invest hours of training.

My club tried it once years ago,..... once being the import word in that sentence! it made a lot of people mad.
You have to consider that most people can't even back a car up by just using the mirrors without great difficulty( and accidents).
Then there is the safety aspect of trying to fire a gun backwards over your shoulder using a mirror.

Personally, I think you could come up with a better idea.

P/S. I was one of 2 people that actually hit the target

Why not use the upside down rifle shoot, that's a fun one to try and line the sites up thru your hand holding the barrel instead of the stock.

Cutting a playing card in half...Yes!

Splitting the ball on an axe head to snuff out two candles...All Right!!

Rifle over your shoulder, lock near your face. using a mirror to see the sights...Bad Idea!!!

You might escape injury...you will be setting a bad example for any kids or impressionable others who are watching.

Just my opinion... :idunno:

trent/OH said:
I am putting together a shoot program for this Spring, and am considering the old shooting with a mirror trick as an event, like Annie Oakley used to perform.

I am concerned about trying this with muzzleloaders however. Do you consider the lock going off so close to the shooters face, and with the hammer falling TOWARD the shooters face, to be a hazard to the shooter?

If you have any experience with this with muzzleloaders, please tell me about it.

This falls in the same category as - 'Hey, Earl, hol' m'beer an' watch this!'
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9bf_1419038087

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
Annie Oakley did this trick with cartridge guns only. It is not a trick that I would do with a caplock and, most assuredly, not with a flintlock. I can almost guarantee some injury to your face. It may be nothing more than a cap fragment hitting your face. It may be minor but could be more serious. Any damage to an eye would be serious. Better forget this trick with a muzzleloader.

trent/OH said:

Substitute and early Sharps or other BP Cartridge rifle, get lots of practice, and I think you have an excellent idea. Same smoke, boom and billow, the crowd will love it.

I have only had to do this shot once. I got lucky and hit the target. I did use a flintlock and survived.

Here are some hints.

1) Make the target large and close up.
2) Use an unbreakable mirror or have a bunch on hand. They will get dropped.
3) Have a safety person standing in front of the shooter (this is now behind the butt of the gun). They are tasked with making sure that the gun goes off in the correct general direction, also that the frizzen is on the correct side of the shooters neck and finally to catch the gun if/when it gets dropped.

Many Klatch said:
I have only had to do this shot once. I got lucky and hit the target. I did use a flintlock and survived.

Here are some hints.

1) Make the target large and close up.
2) Use an unbreakable mirror or have a bunch on hand. They will get dropped.
3) Have a safety person standing in front of the shooter (this is now behind the butt of the gun). They are tasked with making sure that the gun goes off in the correct general direction, also that the frizzen is on the correct side of the shooters neck and finally to catch the gun if/when it gets dropped.

100% correct on the "dropped mirror" and the "dropped gun" parts

My experience was a little different. Someone before me had dropped and broke the mirror so I had to use a fragment. Then I took my shot and missed, but several seconds after I smelled something burning, then realized it was me!! My sleeve had caught the blast from the vent and caught one of my favorite cotten Mountain Man shirts on fire. Now this might sound stupid- and maybe it was- but how to put it out? No water handy, the burning black hole was getting migger by the second. I ended up spitting on my hand and batting it out. I didn't think it was very funny but the lads around me watching were laughing their (blanketyblank's) off.

OP here. Having read everyone's replies, and taking the time to carefully consider them, I have decided AGAINST including this in the shoot.
The chances of something going wrong are too considerable, and the likelihood of shooters making good hits too inconsiderable. So I'll just let my imagination run and come up with a couple of other targets.
And Bubba, split the ball is already in the works!

Thanks for helping me talk this out. It was very helpful.

Although it really isn't a trick shot, "Vaporize The OREO" is always a good crowd pleaser.

If hit by a shot they suddenly vanish.
After the shoot is over the little birds and critters will thank you for a special treat. :)

Latest posts

Back