• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with leather for a possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat1066

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm bouncing around some ideas about making myself a possibles bag (not a shooting bag just yet...that's later :grin: ) and figured that the good folks here might be able to help me out.

The direction I'm leaning with my kit is 1750-1790ish, early Georgia ranger-type going between Savannah and Ft. Augusta and the surrounding area. For the bag, I see three possibilities based on the area: (1) buckskin, (2)cowhide and (3)pigskin.

My one concern on buckskin is that it's overused, but it's not a huge one. I even bought a couple of splits (didn't realize they were splits until after they got here...all my fault) in order to make a bag. The other two seem intriguing because I would think that someone with fairly steady access to towns would have had regular access to them, and they would perhaps be more durable.

I could also use some recommendations on where to purchase the leather. I know Crazy Crow and Tandy, and that's about it. I figured there were some smaller dealers on the internet that might have better prices, better quality, etc, that some of y'all might know about.

Any help is much appreciated.

My only experience with pigskin is using it for liners. All I've used and all I've handled has been waaaaaay too thin for a bag unless you were going to line it. I'm not saying thicker stuff isn't out there, because I've only ever specified lining leather when I ordered from Tandy.

When you say "cow hide" you're talking about hair-on right? Lots of that around, but from what I've handled I'd sure go for calf. The hair is lots nicer and the leather is closer to what I want for bag weight.

BrownBear said:
My only experience with pigskin is using it for liners. All I've used and all I've handled has been waaaaaay too thin for a bag unless you were going to line it. I'm not saying thicker stuff isn't out there, because I've only ever specified lining leather when I ordered from Tandy.

Good to know. I recalled hearing of someone making a bag out of pigskin, but I'm not sure I remembered it correctly or not. If there's thicker stuff out there, hopefully someone will come and set us both straight on that ;)

When you say "cow hide" you're talking about hair-on right? Lots of that around, but from what I've handled I'd sure go for calf. The hair is lots nicer and the leather is closer to what I want for bag weight.

Not necessarily hair on, though I have thought about it to some extent. Just good old cow skin leather, just not particularly thick. I want it to be flexible.

necchi said:
These folks are great to work with. Keith and Tracy use to run the local vous circut but finally set up shop. They'll give you a personal service. http://www.theleatherguy.org/[/quote]

Thanks. I'm looking at their site now. I don't know that I'm crazy about their interface, but it's the leather that matters :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is another possible dealer: http://www.leatherunltd.com/ They have all the tools and accessories needed to work your project.
Also, just do a search for "wholesale leather", "leather supply", etc. and you will find all sorts of dealers. If you do rendezvous, there is a family out of Ky. (can't remember the name) who have a huge tent full of leather at fairly reasonable prices.

This is an old coach bag of my wife’s that I’m planning to take a part and use it as a pattern to make my shooting bag with.
Like You I have plenty of pig skin to make it out of . I too think it will be a bit on the thin side so I decided to make two patterns of each and use one as a liner. I’ll do that by having the top side exposed on the inner part of the bag and also on the outer. I think I will end up with a much lighter bag than the original..
Twice

couchbag039.jpg

That Family is who I buy my leather from when they are at Friendship. Cheap too.
Twice.

Great stuff at that site, that's for sure. I don't get all that close to KY unfortunately, so I doubt I'll get a chance to run into that family :(

Thanks for the help folks. Now I just have to figure out what the heck to make this thing out of. Decisions, decisions :grin:

I will second the vote for Leather Unlimited. I get their oil-tanned sides at the following web address and have used them for bags, knife sheaths and other things:
http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/oak/oak.html

Let it be known that this is a PERSONAL preference and not meant to say this is the only choice one should consider.

:grin: lol :grin:

Thanks deano. I was looking at that one pretty heavily myself. Right now there's a debate raging in my head about that or one other side I found that has a pretty cool mottled hide that could make an interesting bag.

However, I bow to the wisdom man with Camaro :bow: :grin:

Seriously, I appreciate the feedback from everyone. It's helped. A lot! :grin:

I get a lot questions/comments about that "deanscamaro" e-mail address.....its a '69 SS convertible.
:haha: :haha:

And, as I said in the Barrett Jackson thread, I must hate you now.

(tears up a bit as his dream car being owned by another)

I needed to resole my mocs one time before going to a vous. And the only leather I had big enough pieces to do it with was pig skin. Put the new pig skin soles on hoping to get 3 days out of them that was 6 years ago. I made a copy of a bag that was in Madison Grants book that was pigskin sewn with siene, it's been a great bag works fine. :2

That's great feedback. I'm only acquainted with the stuff I buy for liners, and it's thin-thin-thin. Is it lots tougher than I think, or are using pigskin thicker than liner?

Back