• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Jäger Rifle .62 Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems the 20 bore ja''ger are popular I made one 26'swamped brl ' after ' Fridrich Bickel c 1670 shewn in Shumways booklet page 58 .I made it dogged to provide the half cock as the set trigger needed cocking ere it would full cock . Works fine 600 ball 20 thou ticking just shot 2&1/2 drams ( 70 grains maybe ) not used it much .
Rudyard

I’ll throw my experience in here also. Colorain barrels necessite the use of thicker patches. While I don’t have a 62 (I have a 54), 0.020 works for me. Also, if I am using Swiss Powder (hotter than goex), I insert a
“lubed backer patch” on top of the powder before driving home a lubed patch/ball. Otherwise the Swiss will burn thru the patch

I’ll throw my experience in here also. Colorain barrels necessite the use of thicker patches. While I don’t have a 62 (I have a 54), 0.020 works for me. Also, if I am using Swiss Powder (hotter than goex), I insert a
“lubed backer patch” on top of the powder before driving home a lubed patch/ball. Otherwise the Swiss will burn thru the patch
I use Swiss powder almost exclusively, and do not see it burning through 100% cotton patches, even with the heaviest charges. I do see powder burning through patches when the rifling grooves are not filled because the patch material is too thin, or if the patch material weave is too loose. I also see patches damaged by sharp edges at the muzzle and at times in new barrels from rifling sharp edges or burrs.

Hello Folks,
Today i was another Test in the Field !
I shoot 55 Meters first .610 Ball with 0.10patch extra lubed & 100grs Swiss3 it losds very slick not good results then i use .600 RB with 0.20Patch extra lubed plus a shotwad cal. 20 over the powder these loads are little strobger to run down but good grouping them .595 with 0.20 Patch plus Wad at 100grs also. I make a Photo for you! Shooting from my Jeep Hood. I have the Feeling that the dusty cold weather not good for sparking with english flints?! Hope you answer

Attachments

• 82102461-9AAE-4017-8F87-E3C72B9762F5.jpeg
    82102461-9AAE-4017-8F87-E3C72B9762F5.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 33
Hello for all here,
I am Tino from Germany i am a traditinal Hunter and hunting with Flintlocks i have 1 Kibler Colonial Rifle .54 and 1 J. Garner Lancaster also .54 both perfect Hunting Rifles!
Now i became a TOW Kit Jäger Rifle with 31“ Colraine Barrel .62, Davis Jaeger Lock a very beauty Rifle but i have no good Loaddata for it! I have RB in .595,.600,.610 and 0.20 Oxyyoke lubed Patches. I try today .600 with Patch and 100Grs Schweizer No.3 50 yrds . But no good performance😫. Bit what can i do to have Sucess with it please help me i was very diapointed . Musst i clean it between each shot?! I use an Alkohol Patch between each 3 Shoots. I hope you can help hunting Derr Sized Game.
Greetings from Germany
Jäger, I had to dig out my notes as I haven't shot it, them, in a while. First off, I would toss the pre-lubed patches.
I have used that barrel in a few jaggewehre, I use .025 pillow ticking for everything lubed with mink oil or a tallow / beeswax mix,, one load I used for hunting, was 110 gr. ff, .610 cast lead ball, another is 85 gr. ff, .600 cast lead ball, both are very accurate and more than adequate for deer sized game.
Good luck, enjoy the search!!!!
IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

Robby

What a Outstandig Rifle! Great And wonderful.
Thank you for the tipps because i have order unlubed Patches now! I hope to became a good Result with it Minkoil have i gor my Boots in stock but what RB .600 or .610 or .595?! What Distance Grouping are good forn this Typ of Gun?

All my sighting at that time was done at 100 yards, I listed the ball diameters used in those loads. both of the loads provided were successful in taking buck deer in the 200 pound range. Make sure your "mink oil" is pure, no silicates.
Robby

Rule of thumb for a starter load: Caliber + twist divided by two equal a good starter load. Then experiment below and over to see what gives the best group.

My own Colerain .62 is 66" twist. I shoot .605" balls with .018" patches lubed with mink oil. .600" balls with .020" patch should be fine. .610" will be difficult to load with patches thick enough to fill the grooves. My normal loads are 100-120gr Goex fffg. If you're using Swiss, use ffg and 80-100gr.

Ok thank you alot, today i became .600 Balls and 0.18 Pillowthick Patches!
I brew 2 Types of Lube1. 2 Parts Olive Oil 1 Part Beeswax
2. 1Part Cattle Fat, 2,5 Part Olive Oil, 0,75 Beeswax

3.Minkoil straight pure
4. Oxyoke Wonderlube 1000
I think i use 80Grains Schweizer 3

What did you say? Should i use a Shotgun Wad abovevPowder or not?!
Thanks

Latest posts

Back