• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me with proof marks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlimoges

36 Cal.
Reaction score
101_1336.jpg
It is from a Belgian made SXS.Also I am finaly able to post a photo I hope.

Interesting to see an early Marbles of Gladstone MICH sight there.

However, I don't see anything there that looks like a Belgian proof mark - apart fro mthe possible crowned letter. Is there nothing else? There SHOULD be plenty of stamps all over the action.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

To add - I just emailed Marbles in Gladstone to see if they could recognise the sight [?]

Within an hour or so, I got this back -

'The stamp looks like our stamp, but I can not make out what the product is.'

We need better shots of everything, please.

tac

Thanks Tac I have other markings in photo bucket ,will send later today. The marble one is the end of a cleaning rod or ram rod the came with the gun. I have a picture of the oval with a star and letters in side.Will post later this evening.

elmer said:
Iwill try again.
101_1334.jpg

Yes, ELG over crown in a cartouche is the Liege proof mark - the crown over any letter is an inspector's stamp. there should be many more, as I noted before.

Can you post the others as well, please?

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

TAC sorry about all this.I had to use a jewlers loop to photo what I had.As far as other marks, there are on the list of marks on the list I down loaded.There is a crown over x,overN,over Y,10.6,Candel stick,and at the very back on the plugs L J R. I was interested in the pointed crown in the picture.
101_1341.jpg

elmer said:
TAC sorry about all this.I had to use a jewlers loop to photo what I had.As far as other marks, there are on the list of marks on the list I down loaded.There is a crown over x,overN,over Y,10.6,Candel stick,and at the very back on the plugs L J R. I was interested in the pointed crown in the picture.
101_1341.jpg

'kaaaaaaaaay. Crown over X, N and Y are individual inspector's stamps. The 'candle-stick' is the Perron, a very old decorative civic landmark column in the heart of Liege, and is the sign for breeching proof in Liege since 1853.

Not sure what the 10.6 relates to - if it was the weight of the powder charge in grams then it would be pretty hefty at around 160gr of BP of some kind. As a weight of the shot load it is almost negligible. As a dimension in mm it is a very small calibre, especially for a shotgun! The usual 12 gauge calibre is around 18.0, BTW. Dimensions go up or down from that in 0.1mm increments. Might you have mis-read it? It looks pretty well worn all over from what you have shown us so far.

The other stamps on the breech plugs are also inspection marks.

tac

PS - no need to capitalise my name as 'TAC'. My name IS tac - but spelled Tadhg and pronounced 'tac'. I've never heard it pronounced correctly right by an Anglophone in my entire life, hence the approximate spelling.

Back