• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Prof Marks Possible Belgian.. German??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I saw a listing on one of the threads of Prof marks but a search hasn't brought it up. Possible Belgian a "Crown over a U and a G along side of it. I'dtry a picture but that might be out of my realm ..."Old Guy" some of you will understand. The gun in question has no other markings to identify maker oryear..... but, it is an antique. Any Help would be appreciated. WZ Edited sorry there is another letter about a 1/2 inch down from the crown & G it's a W .

Last edited:
I saw a listing on one of the threads of Prof marks but a search hasn't brought it up. Possible Belgian a "Crown over a U and a G along side of it. I'd
try a picture but that might be out of my realm ..."Old Guy" some of you will understand. The gun in question has no other markings to identify maker or
year..... but, it is an antique. Any Help would be appreciated. WZ

Photographs?

A crown over U might be Belgian, or it might be part of the German BUG marks. When you write 'beside it' it's unclear how near you mean - that's why photos are best. The style of font is helpful, too.

Last edited:
Definitely need pictures. Britain did use a Crown over a 'V' proof, whereas Germany used a Crown over a 'U' , but ... these marks not only varied country to country, with different fonts used, they also changed through the years within each country too. So you'd need to roughly gauge the era of the arm build to correctly interpret the marks.

I'll try later to get a decent picture but it'll have to be in a little while. Added the addition of a letter W about a 1/2 inch below the other Markers. Best I get a picture. I thought German but one of the guys at the range said Belgin was a big importer in the day.

Someone just showed a page of Prof marks. In a thread below this one. It's the German proof mark that matches the mark on the barrel.

Once I get a picture the other marks might have reference to the maker.

Last edited:
Let's just make it clear here, in order to help the OP.

Both German [post 1891] and Belgian ]post the same date] proof marks are both multiple and clearly stamped, usually at the breech end of the gun in question. Additional to the various crowns and letters, Belgian proof includes a representation of the 'Perron' a famous landmark in Liége, and the oval cartouche containing the letters ELG and a star.

German proofs are B U G with crowns on top, and a full and detailed designation of the calibre, weight of shot and type of powder. VERY few BP arms per se were made in Germany after the introduction of smokeless powders.

We really DO need those pics.

Back