• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me spend my money

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ruger Old Army or ROA. If not (they have not been produced for years now) I would say a steel framed Colt replica over a Remington replica. Now I like brass framed .36 Colts with reduced powder charges, but that's ME. A steel framed Colt Army from Pietta will serve you well. If you buy an Uberti, then the short arbor issue will raise it's ugly head.
looks like you and I think alike. i shoot a stainless Ruger and a 36 Remington style

I got my first BP pistol less than a yr ago, a blued ROA 7.5” barrel. I love the thing. All I shoot in it is 220gr Kaido conicals with T7fff powder. I highly recommend trying the Kaidos.

I own a copy of all the basic civil war era pistols, the biggest flaw of the Remingtons is the flush, bushing less cylinder against the forcing cone mouth.. The smooth base pin of small diameter is prone to fouling created by the cylinder gap blow by. Depending on powder type and charge amount this fouling can become problematic after a cylinder or two. Colts aren’t as effected as the arbor (base pin) was designed to allow the fouling to collect in recessed areas of the arbor.
Rogers and Spencer’s added a bushing on the cylinder that diverted the gases around the base pin, Ruger incorporated that design into the ROA.

I’ve heard that some comptention shooter will have a gunsmith fit a bushing to the cylinder face then machine the frame face to accept the bushing.

Trivia information I guess, I simply dismount the cylinder on my Remington 36’s and 44’s and wipe the base pin when it’s starts to bind.

I have an UbertI 1858 Remington that is fantastic, I’ve done nothing to it. In fact it still has the factory nipples, very solid gun and accurate. The last two weekends of shooting it have been spent on my rifle range shooting longer distances with it. I was at 75 yards and am hitting a 12 x 18 steel plate nearly 100%. My load is 30gn by volume fff with lubed felt wad And homemade caps. I have also had the same results with paper cartridge. I love this pistol!
A little over a week ago I ordered an 1860 from Long Hunter. It will have all options offered except the barrel crown. I’m hoping it’s as good as the 58. I’ve never held or shot a colt pattern revolver.
For years I had admired the 1858 Remington but the grips were to small for my hands. A couple of years ago Dixie gun works offered an 1858 with a larger frame, so I took a chance and bought one. It is a Pietta and it is well made, accurate right out of the box and it fits my hands perfectly. I simply love it, but if I am going to do any bear or hog hunting with my smoke pole, I will bring my Colt 3rd model dragoon for back up.

The cylindrical thingy next to it in pic 1 is a compact “ travel “ cleaning kit that I got on fleebay for around 25.00. I thought that was a bit expensive, but it’s pretty cool & does a great job.

Attachments

• EEF3F686-F250-4788-AC9F-F0E522A1428F.jpeg
    EEF3F686-F250-4788-AC9F-F0E522A1428F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4D219BF5-B875-4401-A647-FEB771DE3A7E.jpeg
    4D219BF5-B875-4401-A647-FEB771DE3A7E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
They do incredibly well with the Kaido conicals too and handle up to 35gr of T7fff as well. What’s not to love right
Keep hearing about these Kaido conicals. As an individual who cast all the projectiles I shoot is there a mold available for them.?
I shoot a lot of 45c in black powder in the ROA. Will they work in that manner. ?

Keep hearing about these Kaido conicals. As an individual who cast all the projectiles I shoot is there a mold available for them.?
I shoot a lot of 45c in black powder in the ROA. Will they work in that manner. ?
Yessir to both of your questions.
A Japanese guy named Kaido designed these cast conicals specifically for the ROA. They are perfect loading & shooting.
If I remember correctly their dia is .456
I got my bullets from a guy that’s back in my home state of Md. he’s selling them on GB and some other site. They are from wheel weight lead. They are 40.00 or 44.00 for 100. I can’t remember which. They came lubed with 50/50 beeswax/tallow which by the time they got to Fl & I got them out of the mailbox, all the lube had melted & made one big nasty clump of a mess to clean off.
I now use a spray on lube mixture called Bens or Bills liquid lube on all my conicals.
Yes, there are Kaido molds available and in a cpl diff weights too. A friend just got the 220gr Kaido mold -150.00 I think he said.

I’ll look up that info & send you the link to them

Yessir to both of your questions.
A Japanese guy named Kaido designed these cast conicals specifically for the ROA. They are perfect loading & shooting.
If I remember correctly their dia is .456
I got my bullets from a guy that’s back in my home state of Md. he’s selling them on GB and some other site. They are from wheel weight lead. They are 40.00 or 44.00 for 100. I can’t remember which. They came lubed with 50/50 beeswax/tallow which by the time they got to Fl & I got them out of the mailbox, all the lube had melted & made one big nasty clump of a mess to clean off.
I now use a spray on lube mixture called Bens or Bills liquid lube on all my conicals.
Yes, there are Kaido molds available and in a cpl diff weights too. A friend just got the 220gr Kaido mold -150.00 I think he said.

I’ll look up that info & send you the link to them
Thanks. I shoot several hundreds over a years time so at $44 a hundred a mold will pay for its self.

Back