• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me out here

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On a classified forum there are two revolvers for sale by same vendor. Both are listed as Pietta Colt 1851. However, one has a octagon barrel and the other round. I have what I believe is an 1860 that looks identical [except mine is nickel and gold with engraving] to the round barrel Colt repro. Do I have an 1860 or 1851?

Pietta can be a little "liberal" in what they call their revolvers. Generally, if it has an octagon barrel, it will be an 1851. A round barrel would be an 1860/1861, depending on caliber.

Again, what Pietta labels their revolver isn't necessarily what it is supposed to replicate, but the above guideline is accurate (except when it isn't). 😃

Having both types I can chime in here.
The 1851 Navy .36 caliber has an octagon barrel..
The 1861 .36 Navy caliber is the same round barrel revolver as the 1860 .44 Army caliber just a smaller bore and just a tad heavier, but with a real blade front sight. I don't have the guns at hand but I believe the 1861 Navy has a slightly smaller grip frame.
Both fun to shoot.
Respectfully
Bunk

The 1861 Navy has a smaller grip frame than the 1860 Army but otherwise looks a lot like it. It is essentially an 1851 navy frame with the new style. streamlined barrel.

Additionally . . .
I think the octagons use a simple “pivoting” loading lever . . . .while the round barrels use the “creeping” levers.

Soe dealers who don't really know much about black powder guns list round barreled guns such as the Griswold & Gunnison as 1851 navies because it's a term they're familiar with. I've even seen dragoons listed as such.

Back