• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me decide on my next build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm starting to plan my next build and I'm stuck which I should build first, I was thinking about a 38" or shorter .40 A weight Tennessee or North Carolina, a smooth bore Virginia, or a pistol (any suggestions as to style/model?)

Please help me choose

If you have already several builds of each under your belt, I suggest stretching your talent and try a double-barrel flint shotgun in the style of Manton or Purdey.

Personally....I'd pick 2 and work on both alternatively. I've done that quite often and it works out well...nice change of pace.....Fred

Personally I would not put a 38" barrel on ANY longrifle. Most Southern rifles carried a barrel closer to 46" or so. If you want a shorter barrel build a plains rifle or trade rifle of some sort.

I like Fred Idea of building two at a time. Makes more since than first glance. Question is what don't you have or what challenge you need to conquer? If you don't have a smoothbore I would build that.

IMHO... A 38" 40 cal in an "A" wt swamped profile is too light out front, and may be difficult to hold well on target.
For my taste, a "B" profile, 38" 40 cal is marginal.
For comparison, the two rifles that come to mind in an "A" profile, that I really like the "feel" of for offhand shooting are a 42in 32 cal, and a 46 " 40 cal. That's just me.

The reason I'm looking for a lighter barrel is the C weight .58 I have on my Va rifle tends to hurt my left shoulder (torn rotator) not opposed to a longer barrel just needs to be lighter

I would defiantly go with the smooth bore then. 20-24ga...heck ya. I would do that one first and work on your 40cal also but fancy it up since you will be all practiced up doing the smooth bore work.

I'm really leaning towards a smoothie either a 24 or 20...

Fred I would love to build 2 at the same time but funds are limited.

I would go with a 42" 'A' weight in .40 cal on a Southern Mountain. ... some may find this too light, but I really like mine.

Good luck with your build!

I stocked up a 38" A weight Green Mtn. barrel in 40 caliber a few years ago. It has been my favorite for target work and squirrel hunts. That Green Mtn. had me fooled for a short time as it first shot all over the place. After about 50 rounds or so it straightened out and now is the ultimate in accuracy.

The older I get the more I have come to appreciate a light weight rifle.

I had Mike Brooks build me a 38 inch A weight 40 cal. Its a joy to shoot an the accuracy is tack driving. I dont have a bit of problem with it being too light or too short or any of the such. I cant tell you what to build an would'nt begin to try but if you do build one like mine I can tell you that you will not regret it one little bit :thumbsup:

How about a long barreled full stock .40 cal. pistol? I recently repaired a home grown .40 pistol for a friend that sported a 14 1/2"x7/8ths" barrel with a walnut stock and it was interesting. It had a percussion lock marked 'Belgium' and had one of the old round brass bowl flash hiders. Simple trigger with no half cock on the lock. I didn't care for it at first, but after shooting it, the darned thing grew on me. Now I'm collecting parts for my .36 FCI 12" barreled Kentucky pistol. Just ordered a Lehigh Valley precarve from Knob Mountain. Good luck on your choice, George.

Back