• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Knapping a flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must be missing the flint knapping gene in my DNA. I’ve watch every you tube video I can find and the guys who do it make it look so easy. Just get your little hammer or what ever tool is being used. Tap tap tap and the flint is sharp enough to shave with. I try the same thing and my flint is so dull it could hurt a fly. What am I missing?
Oh BTW I’m 75 and just getting into flintlocks so go easy with me.

Sometimes you just need to put in a new Flint.

Try flipping the Flint over in the cock and then tap it with your little knapping hammer.

If its in the jaw ...I just take my knapping hammer and tap straight down , just barely touching the edge . I'm pretty clumsy and it works for me every time so you can definitely do it. :)

Put your lock at half cock. Place your left index finger under the edge of the flint and lightly tap along the edge with the back edge of a knife, flint hammer, serrated nail, or what have you. You won’t cut yourself unless you hit to hard. Use finesse and you won’t waste the flint.

I was never able to sharpen a flint while it was still in the cock. I have to remove mine and place it on a hard surface using press flaking to sharpen it. But that’s just me.

I gave up knapping years ago as I was ruining too many flints. I now use a diamond file, and my flints last much longer and it is much easier to get a sharp edge without chipping away too much of the stone edge.

I must be missing the flint knapping gene in my DNA. I’ve watch every you tube video I can find and the guys who do it make it look so easy. Just get your little hammer or what ever tool is being used. Tap tap tap and the flint is sharp enough to shave with. I try the same thing and my flint is so dull it could hurt a fly. What am I missing?
Go to an arrow point knapping video and learn to pressure flake the edge instead of gun flint videos which only teach how poorly fed cave men knapped flint ! Seriously, pressure flaking with a easily made copper pointed flaking tool will not only make an edge sharp enough to cut up meat with, it will greatly extend the life of each flint and make better sparks..

The pressure flaking method sets up a serrated edge which is what you will have the first time it is sharpened by any method other than grinding. The original sharp chisel edge can be ground on but is not as strong as the serrated edge with scarf ridges made from the flake removal.
The other reason pressure flaking is better than percussion methods is it does not set up cracks from the impact of hammering on them or knock off the corners which often happens with the little hammer tools.
The notch tools work better than hammers but still do not afford the edge control one will have with a proper copper or mild steel pointed pressure flake tool and they also tend to break off the edge corners.
The pointed flake tool also can be made from soft steel (nails) which works well too as when pressure flaking the edge is supported from the back side as the pressure is applied from the front and downward. There is no impact shock to make cracks in the flint as when pounding on them with hammer tools.
Another very positive reason to pressure flake is every time a new row is flaked into the edge it raises the edge up word on the flint body thus making a new impact area on the frizzen to spread out the wear. When the edge elevates to the top of the flint body it can be flipped over and if long enough one starts the process over again from the bottom. The flakes removed to make a sharp and strong edge are very small compared to what is knocked or notched off with the other tools and thus increases flint life.

Copper nails and antler tines work well for pressure flaking. Which, as @M. De Land says, is best.

Attachments

• D12E1E2A-ACC9-439D-9AB0-E5D4B4965F2E.jpeg
    D12E1E2A-ACC9-439D-9AB0-E5D4B4965F2E.jpeg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
I use a piece of brass stock with a notch cut in it. Set the notch on the edge of the flint and tap the brass with a hammer. Sharpens them right up.

Back