• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying Reproduction 1851 Navy (FrankenClone!)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPaw

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all, recently acquired this .36 cal 1851 repro. Front end is a near new Uberti replacement (which is great) but the rest seems to be some kind of (fully functional) non-descript generic make with hand engraved serial numbers on frame and cylinder. Looks older and fit & finish is not great. Has proof marks on each chamber.
The only other markings are on the side of back strap, AS and TD with crown.

Any ideas?!

Cheers from NZ

EF3E42E2-CE08-48CF-AD15-20BF7A8CD711.jpeg
516A7A0E-B889-42D2-9A0C-CADAC830560E.jpeg
A1CFD468-5873-413C-8CC5-3930EA45DBAB.jpeg
68531271-A5A5-4873-897C-ED13C79813BC.jpeg
3EA4F12D-86D4-44E2-BA0F-AEE5427A558B.jpeg

I've seen a lot of repros in my day but this is a new one on me. Does not look Italian whatsoever. Grip frame backstrap has the Pietta 'Bell-Bottom' look...sorta. The grips with Remington-style through screw is totally wrong, as are the lead-ins on the cylinder (1873 style). Screw threads on the arbor are wonky too, as well as the pronounced dropped hammer spur. Writing appears European, possibly French or British?
Me; I'd say just shoot it and enjoy it.

Thanks. I was wondering Spanish? Regardless, doesn’t bother me at all as the Uberti barrel with loading lever assembly (London version) is worth the price I paid…..so the rest is essentially free! I intend to shoot it without worrying. Needs new nipples too. The two-piece grips were the first thing I noticed as wrong but I have a trailer load of prime walnut here and love making grips, so bought the revolver anyway.
I like anything a bit “enigmatic” as I enjoy some meaningless sleuth time occasionally😬
I’ve been through all the proof mark records I can find but still in the dark.
a lot of it looks hand finished so may be just some back street independant.

cheers

Back