• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identifying bought at garage sale in Portugal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Chad

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone help identifying? Bought at a garage sale in Portugal

Attachments

• 17099066585723757130827346598350.jpg
    17099066585723757130827346598350.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 17099066843198238981638003408576.jpg
    17099066843198238981638003408576.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 17099066996768110450343891845770.jpg
    17099066996768110450343891845770.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Phil any idea what country's military? There is a stamp above the letter engraving it looks like a crown or a lighthouse with a cross on the top, I will take a better picture of that tomorrow if it helps

Thanks Phil any idea what country's military? There is a stamp above the letter engraving it looks like a crown or a lighthouse with a cross on the top, I will take a better picture of that tomorrow if it helps

The stamp is supposed to be a crown, but it's done in a rather ham-fisted manner. The engraving at the back of the lock is very similar to a Bess. I'd venture to guess that this was once a trade gun for the African trade. Portugal once ran colonies in what are now five African nations, Angola, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, São Tomé and Príncipe. The Bess was in high demand all over Africa, sill is in many places, even if the area wasn't a Portuguese colony. The reason I think was that as the British "farmed out" a lot of their musket making to private companies, when the British weren't buying new muskets, these private firms could make a buck by making trade guns to sell that looked a lot like a Brown Bess.

LD

Not 100 percent on that I believe hunting weapons that are 3 plus 1 or less are legal and basically anything semi automatic is not without permit. I got it at a garage sale for 20 bucks today for above the fireplace. I hear shotguns going off every day from people hunting where I live.

I know little about this, but the hammer strikes me as an aftermarket wrought iron bed frame piece.
SW
I agree that the hammer looks repurposed from something else. They hammered it pretty thin (but not very neatly) where it attaches to the lock. That part would likely bend if used a lot. It will make a nice wall hanger.

where are you in Portugal? one of my favorite places.
that will make a great wall hanger.
The engraveing looks anything but crude .My guess its something to do with the Carlist wars sort of Civil wars of Portugal .its much played about with but from the only one picture its hard to say more ,Wasn't dear, looks good to me . Oh you forgot Portugees Timor . Goa & Makow and what about Brazil.? Timor I once was in Dilli & Acussy They hadnt done very much development in 400 years . But its Hot cant rush things .They had a nice fort at Mogador Morrocco now its called Esouwera
Rudyard

One thing someone always mentions when someone acquires an old muzzle loader is to check if its loaded by using the ram or a dowel as a gauge to find if there appears to be a couple of inches of obstruction in the breach.

Can anyone help identifying? Bought at a garage sale in Portugal
No help with identification, but it appears to have had a long and useful hard life with a number reincarnations over the years. If you can give it another opportunity to shoot again, great, but if not, I would think it has at least earned a honest retirement and a place of honor on display somewhere.

Back