• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help forming US 1816 Musket frizzen spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have determined this frizzen spring will need to be hardened and annealed. I started with a casting of spring steel which I will assume is 6150. I have all the temperature requirements from the ASME website. What I dont know, is how much of a set this spring will take on after initial install. I also do not know what, exactly is the corrected extended size for the spring. To be clear, do I need to expand the spring more than the 3/4 inch shown prior to hardening? Once I set the spring in the gun and compress it a few times how wide should it settle down. At this point, I am not asking procedure. I am asking for physical dimensions before I harden this. And how much will it set in use. That is if I took it off the lock after a few cycles what size should it be?

I am feeling a little frustrated --- really, appreciate any help. Numbers would be great.

The photo was a casting. It is now filed and fitted.

Attachments

• FrizzenSpring_preHeat.jpg
    FrizzenSpring_preHeat.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 30
This maybe a better photo (full disclosure 1812 spring on an 1840 lock):

Attachments

• FrizzenSpring_preHeat2.jpg
    FrizzenSpring_preHeat2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 25
A frizzen spring will not compress much compared to a mainspring. I would leave it as is, temper it, and try it. If you think it’s not strong enough, you can always try it again, and just open it up a little.

Well, I hardened and annealed the spring, without any bending. I was worried it might be too loose. No worry there. It is very strong. I mean very.

Thanks, Sam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back