• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hello from SE Mass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emoto

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi folks,

New to the forum. Just got my first black powder gun last night - a Lyman Trader Rifle (percussion .50) and am looking to learn about the safe handling, use, and cleaning of it.

I've owned guns for over 30 years, so basic gun safety is under control, but I need to read up on how to handle, store, and use black powder (and Pyrodex?), and any other relevant things. If anyone can point me to good places to read up on the basics of black powder firearm ownership and use, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Bob

Welcome aboard emoto!

The best method is to try to locate someone who can mentor you in person! However there is a lot to learn here, so dig in and git some! :thumbsup:

Davy

Emoto,
Welcome to the MLF, great to have you with
the us. I use to direct folks to mags and
publications about B/P and B/P shooting. But as
of now you are at one of the best sites for the
information you seek.....IMO
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

A hearty welcome from the western end of the Bay state! You'll hear this a lot, but ithappens to be true: Stick to this board, read, ask any and every thing you want to or need to, and you'll go right as rain. The wealth of knowledge on this board is staggering, and EVERYBODY loves helping out. Stick around and have fun with the gun!(by the way, that's FIRST gun, because you'll be getting more down the road.......believe me)

Welcome Bob, ya come to the right place. Another good place is the NMLRA. It is the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association

Welcome from Douglas Ma. Actually the best place to start is with the state. I teach Blackpowder throught the hunters edd program. Well worth the time and it is free.

PM me if ya need any info/

Back