• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawkins .50 cal single shot fires on 3rd try

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This issue is just about always a result of the cap fit to the nipple. Either a new nipple that is slightly oversize for the cap, or a used nipple where the top has mushroomed. If a used nipple that has mushroomed you should replace it. If a new or newer nipple then take the nipple out, chuck it in a drill and run it on a flat file to remove some material. Do a little at a time and check with a cap as you go. Cap should go on with a snug fit but you should feel it bottom out.
Hot Shot nipples work great for me.

Here are some pix
16043650467182331829850326477064.jpg
16043650813668138309041594229091.jpg

16043650467182331829850326477064.jpg16043650813668138309041594229091.jpg16043652339887972658406239591960.jpg16043652749428989803830610628126.jpg

Latest update: changed nipple with slixshot uberti 12-28 thread cap and ball using a remington 11 cap. It fired the first time. I used CCI 11(second time), CCI magna 11(third time), and 1075(third time). As I look at the pix, it looks like hammer is on the nipple just a bit more on the front part. The slixshot nipple is half the length of the original nipple. Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Put some Prussian blue or inletting black on the nipple then drop the hammer on it. The mark inside the hammer nose will tell you how the hammer is hitting the nipple.

First check that a cap is not stuck, as has been suggested, then try a different (brand) nipple.

Several things come to mind. Cap not fully seated?
Nipple cone to long? Change out nipple possibly? Another thing to check is if the hammer cup is aligned properly? Does it sit centered over the nipple cone? Had a muzzleloader one time that only the lip of the hammer struck the nipple thus creating multiple tries to fire off the cap.

That is what I was referring to my friend. Sometimes the cone of the nipple is to long thus shortening the hammer throw. That coupled with the hammer cup not properly centered on the nipple can cause these types of problems.

Regardless, glad you got it worked out my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I have a hawkins .50 single shot. I have placed a #11 cap (CCI and rem) and it took 3 hammer hits to fire the cap. I think the hammer needs to move farther back before releasing but why does the cap fire on the 3rd try? Could it be that the hammer does not have enough force and the first 2 times it seats the cap into the nipple a centimeter or 2 farther from the hammer release point? I am going to search youTube for how to adjust the hammer. Thanks for any help.
See if your cap sits on the nipple completely. Take your nipple off, put a cap on and measure it by putting a nipple pick up the cap hole. If it doesn't sit tightly on the nipple. put the nipple threads into a drill chuck and hold sandpaper to the nipple until the cap sits fully on the nipple.

Back