• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainman56

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I need some help. I'm presently watching 2 hawken style rifles on auction. One is an Ithaca hawken which I believe was actually a pretty good rifle although this is second hand information. From the pictures it looks very similar to my Lyman GPR except for the long tang and the fact that it appears to have only a 28" barrel. (I've emailed the guy but he is yet to reply).

The second is called an Ardesa hawken and I've never heard of them. Very nice looking rifle with brass trim, made in Spain.

I would sure appreciate any information on these rifles. Thanks in advance for your help.

If i remember right, Ardesa is just the supplier for CVA, Traditions, etc. Not what some call top of the line, but my CVAs shoot great so I hope yours is as good or better. :thumbsup:

I checked and Ardesa has an English language site. When you look at their Crockett, it sure appears that they're a source for at least some of Traditions' rifles.

Here's a couple pictures of the Ardesa. Seems strange to have all that brass and no patchbox. Appears to have TC style sights.

Ardesa1.jpg

Ardesa2.jpg

I own that gun only other one i have ever seen. mine shoots good refinished the wood and browned the barrel it looks great. got mine new back in 93 or 94 $300.00 its a traditions.

BrownBear said:
I checked and Ardesa has an English language site. When you look at their Crockett, it sure appears that they're a source for at least some of Traditions' rifles.

Ardessa does make the guns for Traditions. They also made the barrels for Austin & Halleck. I don't know if they made guns for CVA but I'm thinking probably not. They're capable of making quite good guns. Traditions just doesn't import their higher end guns, I assume because of the higher cost.

I think I'm going to have to have it. Bidding on the Ithaca as well. Won't my wife be surprised? :confused: :shake:

If I get them both and y'all never hear from me again you'll know what happened.

You will be missed! :grin: And since you won't be needing that rifle, my address is PO Box.......... :rotf:

Me thinks that the "must have more MLers" syndrome is responsible for the high divorce rate in this country, but counter to common opinion, if it's done right, the marriage prevails and more MLers are accumulated and together the pragmatic couple, who are both satisfied, walk into the sunset. One question arises, though....MLers don't really satisfy the female psyche so what's the trade off? :surrender: Lifelong servitude? ...Fred

flehto said:
Me thinks that the "must have more MLers" syndrome is responsible for the high divorce rate in this country, but counter to common opinion, if it's done right, the marriage prevails and more MLers are accumulated and together the pragmatic couple, who are both satisfied, walk into the sunset. One question arises, though....MLers don't really satisfy the female psyche so what's the trade off? :surrender:...Fred

shoes......lots and lots of shoes.

flehto said:
Me thinks that the "must have more MLers" syndrome is responsible for the high divorce rate in this country, but counter to common opinion, if it's done right, the marriage prevails and more MLers are accumulated and together the pragmatic couple, who are both satisfied, walk into the sunset. One question arises, though....MLers don't really satisfy the female psyche so what's the trade off? :surrender:...Fred

Choose carefully in the first place! My wife grew up in a sporting good store with a dad who hunted and fished every spare minute, making sure his daughters got to go too and grew to love it.

Along the same lines, when our own daughter was dating, she brought a guy home who looked around at all our guns and fishing tackle and proposed to her on the spot. She said yes before he could change is mind OR go shooting or fishing with her. Fifteen years later she's still a better shot and outfishes him with ease.

Now THERE is an even bigger problem than a wife who disapproves. I pity the guy. Can you imagine what life is like when your wife is better at all these things than you are? :surrender:

:rotf: I have a friend who won't let me bring my wife anymore when we go skeet shootin cause she kicked his butt the last two times we went. She's deadly with a handgun also. I'm kinda afraid to show her how to shoot muzzleloaders in case the same thing happens to me.

Some womenfolk will "bestow" their "blessings" in the form of humiliation and de-masculasation when they show up the menfolk in "menfolk's sports". What's this world coming to w/ women's lib and such? By the way....a lot of shoes and purses might just work....Fred

All kidding aside, I know lots of folks who feel that way, then wonder why their wives don't take more interest.

We kinda go the other way. I'm proud as can be when my daughter or my wife top me. That makes it a sure thing they'll be back for more, and I cherish their company and interest.

We're all working together to nourish our granddaughter's interests along those lines.

BTW- Does anyone make an all-pink Barbie model muzzleloader? :rotf:

The Ithaca Hawken was a first rate rifle and is nothing like a Lyman. If you put them side-by-side the differences in quality, fit and finish and HC are obvious. The Ardesa isn't even remotely in the same class with the Ithaca. If you can get the Ithaca grab it. It is a fine rifle--well made from quality materials.

Not that I have seen, Brownbear. Not seeing as you have all those skills in building, and all the kits out there that are screaming to get built, well, its just fitting that you make the first pink one. All kidding aside, as has been said here countless times to just make what you want, make what she wants. And if you really wanna stir the pot, get her involved in the project. :hmm: :thumbsup:

And, as you can see, it looks nothing like a Hawken. Just another generic half stock entry level rifle like CVA used to sell.

Russ T Frizzen said:
The Ithaca Hawken was a first rate rifle and is nothing like a Lyman. If you put them side-by-side the differences in quality, fit and finish and HC are obvious. The Ardesa isn't even remotely in the same class with the Ithaca. If you can get the Ithaca grab it. It is a fine rifle--well made from quality materials.

Thank you sir. I thought I could remember hearing good things about the Ithaca. What little information I have been able to find today indicates they had 32" barrels and this one sure looks shorter to me. I emailed the fellow yesterday asking him but I still haven't heard back. Do you have any idea what a good price should be. The rifle looks to be in about 90% condition with a bright bore (so they say)

Back