• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawken kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
SR James,

Do you have or can I get more information about the kits by Don Stith. I have looked at a couple kits I found on line but they are as expensive as the Pedersoli rifle.

Thanks

Don's kits are the best available. He is one of the foremost experts on Hawken rifles and his kits are as authentic as it gets.

It all comes down to what you want and what you want to spend. The Pedersoli is not an authentic reproduction so if authentic is what you want then Don's kits are the way to go.

Enjoy, J.D.

So out of curiosity! :idunno:

What does a Don Stith "Hawken Kit" run these days?

I might want to stable a new pony for the winter!

The website shows thier parts kits are $650 probably more depending on the grade and type of wood you wish to use. Many have had great results building beautiful rifles from his parts sets. And of course there is a wealth of talent and experience here to assist ya'll with nearly any issues that may arise in the process of building a gun uniquely(sp) yours. James

Below is a LH Stith S. Hawken I built a few yrs ago for a customer...it's going elk hunting this year in Colorado. This was an "advanced kit" which req'd installing the hooked breechplug and different shaping around the tang. Don was more than accommodating w/ pics of the original which really answered all my questions. Quality, authentic parts set......Fred

HawkenFullS.jpg

HawkenHalfS.jpg

Shiloh1944,

The guns I own are factory stuff from CVA and thompson Center. I only built kits from manufacturers back in the late 70s. James

That is a beauty of a gun!!! Makes me want to restock my Hawken.

flehto said:
Below is a LH Stith S. Hawken I built a few yrs ago for a customer...it's going elk hunting this year in Colorado. This was an "advanced kit" which req'd installing the hooked breechplug and different shaping around the tang. Don was more than accommodating w/ pics of the original which really answered all my questions. Quality, authentic parts set......Fred

HawkenFullS.jpg

HawkenHalfS.jpg

That might be a good warmup project to do while you're waiting for the parts and specs on your ancestral repro.

Sounds like you're getting the fever :thumbsup:

Flehto,

There is one seller of part sets much more suited for a person with limited skill sets such as me, and they sell a lehman full stock and half stock percussion set but for the life of me I can't remember who it is...... help jog an old man's memory. James

Hi.. sorry.... I can't help w/ any info. Perhaps someone knows the supplier's name....Fred

Scots Jim That's it ! Thank you gotit in favorites now. Shiloh1944 givethat web site a check out too. James

illuveatar said:
That might be a good warmup project to do while you're waiting for the parts and specs on your ancestral repro.

Sounds like you're getting the fever :thumbsup:
Exactly what I was thinking. :)

I built one of Dons Sam hawken rifles and I just ordered a fullstock Hawken kit from him. His stuff is top notch and he will answer questions you might have. I don't know if I would try one of these as a first project,atleast without some help. Its more of a set of parts and Hawkens are a challenge anyway. I had some help getting started on mine. His kits do not include a lock and you need to check on prices from him because I don't know if his websight is up to date. Good luck on whatever you do.

Both Track of the Wolf and Pecotonica offer these gunsmithing services for extra fees...very reasonable but they add up.

I don't know that Don Stith does but I am sure he could recommend somebody or have it done on request.

Track does offer a Hawken kit with a tapered barrel which is closer than authentic then Pecontonica's but still not as authentic as Mr. Stith's parts....but his are more expensive. Again, it depends on how far you want to go.

If you're looking to save money and go with a straight barrel kit I would move fast as the Green Mountain supply is drying up and then you will be paying more. Heck, some have marked up their remaining supply already.

Enjoy, J.D.

After posting this I saw that the poster I responded to deleted his post. I'll leave it as maybe somebody will find the infor useful.

The only kits I have ever done were a couple of T/C kits several tears ago. My question would be on these more custom kits are things done like the drilling and taping of the barrel for the receiving of the under rib, and are the breach plugs installed? I do not have a drill press so some of those types of things could pose a problem. Also are the stocks inletted and to what degree?

Thanks

Sorry, I am new at posting here and haven't quite figured out how things work exactly. This should be in front of the previous post.

Latest posts

Back