• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Hawken Inspired" Full Stock Flintlock Complete

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have finished my second build. I'm not calling this an Early Flint Hawken here since that stirs up controversy over whether these guns ever existed. So let's just say it's "Hawken Inspired!" Some would call it a "Fantasy" build. Call it what you want...it will be with me in the deer woods next fall! :grin:

I have had a separate thread on the build process and appreciate all the nice comments I have gotten along the way. My FLICKR album on the build process has had over 1500 views! There are nearly 600 pictures posted of the entire process, most of them notated with the process step highlights. As I said in my other thread...the album was put together from one novice to others that may be interested in building a "kit" and are not sure what all it entails. It's not intended for experienced builders. I don't claim to be a gun-building expert by any means...it just shows the way I did it, both good and bad. Hope someone got/gets something out of it. Here's the link for anyone interested:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100435142@N08/sets/72157639906287386

Gun Specifics:

- Track of the Wolf Early Hawken Flint Fullstock kit.
- Premium stock labeled as Grade 4 by ToTW
- 36" 58 caliber 1" Straight Octagon Colerain Bbl 1-66 twist
- L&R Late English Lock Model #900DT
- L&R Double Set Triggers
- Johnson Peep Sight mounted on a Dovetail
- Wood Finish: Dangler's Golden Brown - four coats rubbed back. Then "hot" rubbed boiled linseed oil over several days until the stock would not take anymore. Then 6 hand rubbed coats of TruOil buffed back to take the shine off. Then Johnson's Paste Wax.
-Metal Finishes: Buttplate, Toeplate, Tigger Guard, Lock Plate, Cock, Breech Plug, & Tang fire "blued". I intentionally did it with varying colors. While I would have liked to have done color case hardening, no one could do all these parts without potential warping, time estimates were long (due to batch sizes) and cost high. So I opted for "poor mans" coloring. :wink: The rest of the parts and the barrel are blued with Birchwood Casey's Perma Blue, then rubbed back to a bluish-grey and intentionally a bit uneven in color.
- Finished weight: 9lbs 9 oz.

Here's some pics. Lots more at the link above.

Thanks for looking.

030815 Build Complete Full Right Side by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Left Side Full by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Right Side Nose Cap by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Top Muzzle through Breech by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Left Side Forestock by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Left Side Butt through Lock by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Right Side Butt through Lock by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Bottom Toe Plate through Lock by mdheaser

030815 Build Complete Bottom Forward of Lock Panels by mdheaser

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that is sweet.

And I would suggest, since it has enough "later" Hawken features that you (label) it as:

A Late Hawken converted back to flint by a nostalgic owner :rotf:

On a serious note it looks like you did a super job on it - love the colour.

Thanks, all, for the kind words. After getting some chores done I did have enough daylight to sneak out and put the first shots through it. I put a target up at 40 yards.

For the first shot, I just put the gun on the bench, kinda sighted it toward the bull, and then with a full face shield on and not aiming just pulled the trigger. This was just a "will it blow up" shot. It is the shot just in the upper right...pretty good for not aiming while shooting! :grin:

I also did one shot at the 6 O'clock hold (which is not my normal) and that's pretty much where it hit. Low and it was left. I X'd both of those as neither was what my normal shooting would be.

The five that I have circled were the "serious" shots. I usually hold with my front sight top half-way covering the aim point. I just put in 90 grains of 2F, used some pillow-tick lubed with mink oil, and .570 balls. The patches started severly torn, and after only 5 shots had gotten much better...still small holes, but not torn. The last two shots were the one in the black and the one just next to it to the left.

The load was definitely too easy going down the bore. Tightening up the load will no doubt help.

All considering, with no load workup yet, I was pretty darned happy and am confident it will really be a shooter with proper load workup and a barrel broken in some more to smooth out any rough edges.

Ignition was excellent. I was a bit worried with that tiny, narrow pan, but this lock is sparking really well with a good shower of sparks going right down into the pan. I guess all that work I did getting the internals from not much better than raw cast parts to a working polished finish paid off.

030815 First Shots by mdheaser

galamb said:
And I would suggest, since it has enough "later" Hawken features that you (label) it as:

A Late Hawken converted back to flint by a nostalgic owner :rotf:

Graham, thanks for the complements.

Actually the "story" to go along with it is that an old-timer mountain man visiting St Louis after a few decades in the Rockies ordered up the original of this Hawken that I copied! :wink: He was a stubborn old coot (do we have any of those on this forum!) :hmm: set in his ways that ordered the gun after the introduction of the percussion system and those half-stock creations, but just liked things the "old way" and had to have a flint lock and a full stock on it! :grin:

That looks very, very good! I like all the colors and especially the stock. Beautiful :thumbsup:

Wow! You do nice work and your Hawken proves it. Fabulous wood and the stain and finish really does enhance the curl. Whatever you do for a living....you're in the wrong business.......Fred

Hawken Inspired fantasy

My fantasy would be to have it hanging on my wall! We sometimes get so hung up on recreating an existing gun or strictly working within the narrow confines of a particular school that we can loose sight of the fact that is possible to create a fine looking arm or a work of art even though no exact prototype exists. I see no reason for anyone to be critical of what you have created and you should never have to offer excuses. A beautiful rifle and excellent workmanship.

I followed the link to your build photo album. An outstanding series of photos of the sequence. Anyone contemplating building a gun should study them. Thanks for taking the time to document everything.

Fred, a complement like that coming from a builder that makes some of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen is very flattering. Thank you.

If I can ever retire some day from the job that pays the bills now I'd like to build and sell a few just to at least pay for my hunting lease costs! :wink: :grin:

Hawkeye, I'm glad you found the pictures worthwhile. Thanks for looking.

I forgot to mention that to see the comments, once a person has gotten to the album, just double click on any picture and it will open a larger view of the picture and below that are my build comments.

Now that's a shame. What a shame it's not in my gun cabinet! A beautiful job well done. You can be proud. Keep building because the talent you have is obvious and should be shared.

Hello Spikebuck,

You did a totally awesome job on that " PLAINS RIFLE " for those that wish to argue it not being a Hawken.
I'm sure Sam or Jake would gladly like to have it in their shop, and in many cases make them a little shy.
Please tell me more about the rear sight.
Where did it come from?
Your choice of wood and stain is right on.
My most sincere compliments.
Fred

Old Ford said:
Please tell me more about the rear sight.
Where did it come from?

Fred

Fred, thanks much for the complement. I really appreciate all the response from everyone...helps me know as a new builder that at least I'm on the right path. :)

Regarding the peep sight, it is called a Johnson Peep Sight and is available from Muzzleloader Builder's Supply.
http://www.muzzleloaderbuilderssup...?cart_id=1548944.27907&next=25&product=Sights

If that link doesn't take you directly to the page it's on, it's in the 26 of 50 grouping page for sights.

It comes in brass, steel, and german silver. As produced it is meant to be just screwed right to the barrel or tang. On this build, to have the ability to slightly drift it, if necessary, I made and attached a thin dovetailed plate.

On my Jaeger, since that was already all sighted in and I knew I would be good to go, I just screwed that one onto the barrel. As a side note, I used the brass one on the Jaeger and also drilled and tapped a hole right ahead of the aperture and with a small set screw one can also slightly adjust elevation. The brass is flexible enough to bend up a bit...but you cannot go far and since it's not spring steel it's not going to necessarily just come back down! I hadn't put the set screw on yet on this picture, but this shows what the brass one looks like.

062414 Installed Johnson Peep Sight by mdheaser

Regarding apertures, this does not come with one and you can use it "as is" as a ghost ring if you prefer. You can get apertures through MBS, but I prefer the Twilight Apertures from Williams Gun Sights (available through Midway USA, among others).
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...e-long-shank-steel-black?cm_vc=ProductFinding

The brass ring in the aperture really frames the peep view and seems to aid some in low light conditions, IMO. It comes in four hole sizes and two aperture diameters, but I prefer the 3/8" to minimize the overall size.

062414 View through the Johnson Peep Zoomed by mdheaser

030715 Installing the Rear Peep Sight 5 by mdheaser

Some may argue the traditionalism of this, but peeps have been around since before the flintlock, and while probably rare, it's "possible." At least as possible as a flint Hawken ever being made! :grin: For me personally in a hunting environment, they cannot be beat for quickness of target acquisition and accuracy. And this is as traditional looking as I think you'll find in a commercially available peep today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just superb work and craftsmanship Spikebuck. I aspire to do a build of my own some day.

Back