• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hawken doulbe trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westwest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, My hawken flintlock double trigger wont allow me to set the rear trigger. I took the lock apart and look at it and everything is fine. whats the trick to setting the set trigger?

Thanks

Try backing out the screw between the triggers a couple turns! If that works set the rear trigger and slowly tighten the screw between the triggers until it trips the front trigger then back off the screw slightly and reset trigger until you get the release you want.

Also check the stock/trigger fit to see if anything is binding when the trigger is in the stock.

Tried it and still cannot get the rear trigger to set... Do I need to cock the hammer or something?

Cheers

You didn't say what brand of Hawken you have. Knowing this would be a great help for us.

You can try removing the little screw that is between the triggers. If there are other screws showing thru the trigger plate do not mess with them.

If removing the screw between the triggers doesn't fix the problem you will have to remove the trigger assembly. That usually envolves removing the trigger guard and the screw from the tang down thru the stock.

With the trigger assembly removed you should see a large spring at the rear that drives the rear trigger.

The front trigger should also have a small light spring on it to move it forward. If this spring is missing or broken that would explain why the front trigger won't "catch" the latch on the rear trigger like it should.

Let us know what you find.

Well I tried to set the rear trigger and could not get it to set :confused: . Does anybody know foresure how to set a TC hawken doulbe trigger? I tried and tried but just cant get it to set. I pulled the lock out and everyhing looks fine so I dont think anything is broken, are these triggers just hard to set or what ?

Thanks again

Pulling the lock won't help figure out what the problem with the trigger is.

Remove the trigger assembly by first removing the trigger guard and then the screws that hold the trigger assembly into the stock.

Once the trigger assembly is out look at the way they work.
You should see a small spring that keeps the front trigger "forward" and a very heavy spring that pushes the rear trigger forward.

Pulling the rear trigger will lower the blade that is a part of it down and as it reaches the full down position you should see a small catch on the front trigger latch into a part of the rear triggers blade holding it down.

Pulling the front trigger will move this catch to release the rear triggers blade.
Keep your fingers clear of that rear triggers blade when releasing it. It will snap upwards with great force and can give your finger a bad jolt.

If the trigger is working out of the gun it is possible that a part of it is hanging up on the stocks wood.

As I said before, if the front trigger is missing the spring or the spring that makes the front trigger latch onto the rear trigger is broken, that is the problem.

I have several TC Hawkens, to set the trigger, first pull the rear trigger till it clicks, it is usually a pretty stiff pull (10 - 15lbs), that sets the front hair trigger which should be a real light pull. From what I gather from your post you may need to pull the trigger assy out to find the problem as Zonie said.

hi, tried 3 times to get the rear trigger to set and nothing. Front trigger has a spring on it but the rear trigger just floats and flops around. I never noticed type of spring for the rear trigger. Does anyoine have pictures or a diagram for a TC hawken Doulbe trigger ? Front trigger pulls like it should but rear trigger wont latch on to anything no matter how I play with the small screw in between the two triggers.

Thanks in advance

If the rear trigger "flops around" it indicates the triggers mainspring is either broken or is loose.

This mainspring (not to be confused with the locks mainspring) pushes down on a surface that is a part of the "rear trigger" with great force.

Until you remove the trigger assembly you won't know what the problem is.
After removing it, look for a very heavy leaf spring at the rear of the trigger plate. It is held in place by a screw.

Maybe these pics will help.

It's not a TC trigger, but rather from a Lyman GPR. However, they are very similar, considering that the Davis replacement trigger for a TC also works in the GPR.

S5000817.jpg

S5000818.jpg

Hi, has a big leaf spring at the rear of the trigger plate, does the leaf spring need to be latched onto the rear trigger? I pulled the trigger out again and it does not look broken unless Im missing some sort of spring for the rear trigger becasue I cant see any spring and it just"rear trigger" kind of flops around. How exactly does the rear leaf spring work ?

Yup, kinda looks like the TC trigger. Does your rear trigger flop around also? I cannot see but is there a spring for the rear trigger or something ?

thanks

In the top photo, his fingers are pinching the spring in question.

Ok, well i do have that big leaf spring and it looks fine but I cannot see how the rear leaf spring latches onto the rear trigger ?

In my Lyman, there's a set-screw that put tension on the spring. You can adjust this to your liking. Do you have one of those?

:grin: :v :)

finally got the rear trigger to catch . I loosend the rear leaf spring screw just a tad and somehow I got it to work. Might have been to tight ? :idunno: . Thanks for all the help and info, i love this forum. :hatsoff:

Update , I assembled the trigger gaurd and guess what ? The rear trigger would not set again ! All along it was the trigger gaurd that was in the way so I got the dremmel and trimmed 1 mm of the brass gaurd out of the way and it works like a charm now.

Cheers

Back