• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD MLF fundraiser item for auction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone for supporting the MLF as best you can, whether it’s with an auction donation here or reciting the rules or making a direct donation. I will be donating other items in the future, including a or maybe even some curly maple gunstocks or wood. I have a timber harvest going right now and the logger has set aside quite a few curly sugar maple and red maple logs for me, which I will slab on the sawmill and set aside to air dry for years. Having these additions will free me up to let go of one or two old ones in the meantime. So rest assured I’m not selling beads and cheap whisky for your island here. This cool old pencil is the beginning. I’m doing this because the people on this site have been helpful to me in my gun building efforts.

Harmless. Just let it ride. Become a Moderator or stop policing the forum, BTW I am told this same pencil came in the Hawkin Sears And Roebuck kits in 1960's to mark the stocks for patch boxes for the models that offered them. Look it up, could take you awhile but you'll find it. I would have bought it but I still have mine.
II Thes 3:1

OMG am I glad its Friday!

Happy Mothers! day to all (and dogs count, they are people too, so no kids still Happy Mothers Day)

Last edited:
You could wrap it in computer paper, put it in a letter sized envelope, and put two bucks worth of stamps on it.

That pencil doesn't weigh anything and it would sail right through the USPS system.

Just an idea.
It will likely get ripped by the sorting machine. Use a padded envelope. Advice given by my bro in law retired USPS supervisor.

"Rule 13: Modern Clothing, appliances, tents, etc are not allowed. Keep items offered for traditional muzzleloading or historic reenactment."

Merriwether modified that rule after too many people were treating it like a yard sale.
Rule #1 The Classifieds are available for members to sell or trade their personal items. They are not meant to be used as a business listing. That is, you must list a specific item. Please do not list your company and a general description of your products or your commercial web site URL.
Lighten up.
NW

History of the Wooden Pencil

"An Italian couple named Simonio and Lyndiana Bernacotti invented the first wooden pencil in 1560, which was created using a hollowed-out stick of juniper. It was oval in shape, created with carpenters in mind, to stop the pencil rolling away. To this day, carpenter’s pencils are this shape".

From cwpencils.com

"The earliest pencil ever found was located inside a roof in Germany and dates back to the mid 1600s. 18th century cabinet makers were responsible for first casing rectangular stick of pure graphite in wood, something that required and great amount of skill and care when done entirely by hand. Most of these early pencils were born in or around Nuremberg, a region of Germany that is home to mega-brands like Faber-Castell and Staedtler.

Legend has it that in the late 1600s it was Friedrich Staedtler, a shopkeeper, who got it in his head that he wanted to figure out how to make a pencil from start to finish, entirely on his own. At this time the new industry of pencil making involved a two step process. First, a lead cutter was responsible for cutting and processing the graphite and then a carpenter, joiner or knife handle maker (anyone who was skilled in wood craft) cased it in. All of this was regulated by the Nuremberg Council, who had strict rules about only guild members being allowed to make pencils. Since Staedtler wasn't technically a qualified tradesman he had to go against the council. After a lot of trial and error, his pencils were finally recognized by the Nuremberg Council, creating a new trade category for pencil makers, who had their very own guild by the 1730s".

Mariners Museum
Interesting story and photos of an all wooden mechanical pencil which also doubled as a ruler dated back to the early 1700s. The pencil was found with other archaeological material found inside the “Ronson” ship, which is now attributed as the merchant vessel Princess Carolina (1717).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back