• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hawk handle length vs.spin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
In our group here in Utah we have to toss our hawks
at, at a min. distance of 25' that is in our club
Qualifier competitions. I am pretty good at 23'.(4 bulls outa 10)
At 25' my hawk is over rotating.to get less rotation would I need a longer or shorter handle,I know I can go through the "cut" trial and error method,BUT I am "CHEAP" and only want to measure twice and cut once!!!!
Any help out there will be thankful.
Or another idea is heavier or lighter head??????

25 FEET! :shocked2:

Well you should be able to choke up on the handle to see if shorter works, but just off the top of my head I'm thinkin longer.
I say that cause we have a "Lumber Jack" compitition following here in Northern MN and they throw double edge Axes 20-30ft and the hold is way out on the long axe handle.
My experiance with common `vous hawk tossin is weight has little affect, it's the the toss that makes it.
But I don't think I'd mess with trying the 9oz mouse hawk at 25'. Most all the common heads are a pound with some at 12oz, I'd be throwing the pounders.

If it's over turning, you need the same rotation with more velocity, aka; More power

Here is another option,

It seems kinda awkward but turn the hawk around so that the bit is facing the thrower instead of the target, this is dependant on the amount of over or under rotation that is being achieved with a normal toss.

One can also step farther back to let the head turn enough more to hit the right spot. I have not been able to throw for quite a few years, but as I recall most events called for a min. of one rotation which is a cake walk so to speak, we used to go for two rotations as an added challenge after it got to be pretty easy at one rotation.

Most competitions use the 'one rotation' rule. But, because some 'sorta' cheat using very short handles, other clubs have a minimum distance like yours. As stated, if you are over rotating, just step back a bit. When ye get it right, mark yer spot and start winning. :grin:

If he's over rotating he's gonna hafta step back alot, enough to get another 3/4 rotation.
Think that one over guy's, he'd have too step closer and maybe he can't.

necchi said:
If he's over rotating he's gonna hafta step back alot, enough to get another 3/4 rotation.

Got me. :redface: He needs to get closer. Hard with 25 ft. rules. Longer handle.

necchi said:
Correct. If you're over-rotating, you step forward. But if you can't step forward, you have to step back almost a full turn.

you can stick the hawk on the half rotation by turning it around and throwing it with the bit facing the thower.

You can also try it underhanded, same concept.

Just think about it, it works.

There are several ways to skin this cat we used to try three rotations or more, at 25' ( that is only a bit over 8 yds) you are probably at two rotations allready, stepping back and or switching the blade direction could work with practice, I would try all the things mentioned and see which works the best, the "lob"(high slow arc) it keeps the hawk in the air longer and allows for more rotation before it hits the block (I liked a 4' chunk of Cedar with a 4x 8 x 1 1/4" plywood behind it) is another way but is really hard to master at least for me it was, never did get good at it.

Claude, you are correct, I have to step back to about 32' and I can stick consistantly from that distance it is just that my accuracy goes :barf: (1-bull in 10).
I will try a few different things, I just may have to expierment with some variables,chokin up I know does not work.
Anybody out there knows--- I am all EARS. Thanks to Ya'll.

So, in the competitions your refering to where they throw 1 rotation,you say some guys "cheat a little and shorten the handle??my guess is to get a faster rotation! cause I guess they are trying to be closer! IE: to be more accurate, So why would'nt a longer handle slow rotation???
I guess I will try some Variables.
Thanks

you can stick the hawk on the half rotation by turning it around and throwing it with the bit facing the thrower.

He is right!

Folks are correct in that the over rotation is due to the distance causing the head of the 'hawk to turn more before hitting the target. So reduce the spin by getting a longer handle, or increasing the distance...., giving the 'hawk an additional rotation so that when it reaches the target the majority of the edge of the blade is rotating into line to impact with the target.

BUT..., if you add distance instead of adding handle length, at that farther distance the thrower loses a lot of his accuracy.

So REVERSE the blade and throw with the edge facing the man throwing when released, not the target. This will result in the 'hawk head hitting back-on or poll-on to the target if you use the same throwing range...,

So then you take about 1 - 2 steps backwards, allowing the 'hawk head a bit more time of flight. The edge is facing the thrower when released, it rotates 1 full turn, and is again facing the thrower though it's in the air heading for the target, but with the added 1-2 steps of increased range obtained by stepping backwards, you get more time and more rotation, and the edge of the blade has rotated a ½ turn more for a total of 1½ rotations in flight, so impacts edge-on at the target and sticks, though the handle will be up, not down as folks normally expect.

LD

utahhntnful said:
So, in the competitions your refering to where they throw 1 rotation,you say some guys "cheat a little and shorten the handle??my guess is to get a faster rotation! cause I guess they are trying to be closer! IE: to be more accurate, So why would'nt a longer handle slow rotation?
It will.

Try laying your thumb along the handle when you throw, instead of wrapping it around the handle. Kinda like you're giving the "thumbs up" to someone. This tends to slow the rotation just a bit.

I learned to take 3 more steps,Turn the hawk around,throw and it will stick handle up,three more steps and throw it lie you normaly do.

Back