• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hauling Gear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
What is the most bothersome piece of camp gear you have to lug into the great outdoors?

What is almost not worth the trouble of taking?

Blankets, they are heavy and bulky and are the biggest weight in my kit. However they are necessary. I have pared my gear down to the point that I carry essentials, but still carry what someone stepping into the forest might take (1760's), rather than what someone would take NOW (2005) knowing they would only be gone overnight. I always cringe when someone says, "I'm only going on a day hunt, so I'll only carry 5 loads". Be prepared, you won't regret it!!!!
Black Hand

If yer talking trekking, I allus travel light! My flintlock rifle would be the heaviest thing I carry. Blanket second, then canteen of water. In warm weather (unless I'm in the high country, then all bets off)the blanket can be dispensed with. In areas that do not allow firearms, that can be left too. Many's the trek I have done in my youth with nothing but a knife, canteen, jerky, chocolate and a bedroll. Now, base camps or rondy camps are a different story and I would dispense with my tent if the little woman was not along--and the dutch oven--and the ice chest, table, jugs, etc....I could do real fine with a leanto, small copper pot and dried foods. I :m2c: like it simple.

The "five loads" reminds me of Jim Corbett, the noted hunter of maneating tigers in India. He once went after a maneating tiger with only five rounds for his rifle. Circumstances arose and he was down to his last round when he had to finally face the beast. Good thing he was a good shot! I usually carry extra ammo--you never know. I always carry a basic survival kit in wilderness areas.

Blankets, they are heavy and bulky and are the biggest weight in my kit. However they are necessary. I have pared my gear down to the point that I carry essentials, but still carry what someone stepping into the forest might take (1760's), rather than what someone would take NOW (2005) knowing they would only be gone overnight. I always cringe when someone says, "I'm only going on a day hunt, so I'll only carry 5 loads". Be prepared, you won't regret it!!!!
Black Hand

Well I really don't like hauling around my canteen seems to be always in the way when moving around...but I am mighty glad I have it when I get thursty!

I think I would eliminate the tent!

You guys living in the ten inches of annual rainfall zone can dispinse with your tent. I'll hang onto my little oilcloth. It rains in these parts.

I'll keep my blanket too. Though I used to switch to a woven cotton blanket in summers, down south, now that I have moved northward the blanket is wool winter and summer.

I guess after all these years I just about have things pared down as far as they will go.

I don't carry any duplicate items, no backups or what ifs!

Don't even carry a fire steel. I'll use my gun lock or the back of my knife blade and the extra flint for the gun. Just carry a few pieces of charpunk in a cap tin.

I think that part of this is due to having one type of gear that is used just for trekking. My trek gear is 18th century backpacking gear. Lightweight everything and almost all of it will serve dual purposes.

My target guns, hunting guns and trekking guns are even diferent breeds. I don't mix up my trek gear and my rondy gear, just as most people don't mix up their backpacking and car camping gear.

One of the things that tickles my gizzard when I hear it mentioned is carrying a bullet mold and lead ingots on a trek, espically a day trek! Overnighters don't require ammo replacement.

Precast those balls (if you are even allowed to carry powder and lead in the trek area) and leave the mold and lead laddle at the base camp. Wasted weight. You arn't going to have to recover and recast lead to survive on an overnight trek!

You're trekking, not going on a long hunt or into the mountains for a year. If you were on a real scout or patrol your chances of building a fire to run ball would be slim too none.

:front:

Mr. Musketman,
The Wife claims I am the most "bothersome" at times (ALL the time to hear her tell it). :peace:
But it's not true! I swear.
Best Wishes

Mon paillasse

[Translation: My straw tick] I hate sleepin' on the hard prairie sod. But I'll tell you what, that tick sure has made many a cold, cold night downright comfy.
Cruzatte

Mon paillasse

[Translation: My straw tick] I hate sleepin' on the hard prairie sod. But I'll tell you what, that tick sure has made many a cold, cold night downright comfy.
Cruzatte

Cruzatte, what does it look like, the straw tick? I hate sleeping on hard wet ground too. I'm assuming it's just sort of a big twin-mattress-sized pillowcase thing, and you don't schlep the straw, just pack it with whatever is handy when you make camp, right? Stuff it with leaves, dry grass, pine boughs, etc.?

Sorry for being sugh a newbie, but I'd like to learn more about trekking. Packing light nas NEVER been my strong suit... :: Almost got the Rendezvous name of "She Who Packs WAY Too Much $h*T"!!

Thanks, y'all for all the info on this thread!
Patsy

Hey...you try packing my sh#$$%%t. Never travel light..never seem to know my time period and always confused when I get there. :: I need a tent just for my cloths and another for the Privacy stuff (shower, pit and paper) :rolleyes: :shake: :youcrazy: Then, there is all the other gear I might need...and the extra tent unless I burn mine down again. :what: Got to be prepared you all know. :: :RO:

Hey...lets' you and I have a sardine packing contest...bet that would be fun...wait till I get to Texas...what a party that will be. :results: :relax: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Oh!!! forgot to say the most bothersome gear I ever packed and got rid of was....my husband. :no: :no: :imo:

"Oh!!! forgot to say the most bothersome gear I ever packed and got rid of was....my husband. :no: :no: :imo:"

Miss Tipis,
PLEASE don't go giving her any new ideas! I get into enough trouble by myself. :)
Best Wishes

You ask about hauling bothersome equipment to the great outdoors. Hopefully, your talking trekking.
For me, its my boiler. Just seems that no matter how I pack it (be it rolled up in my bedroll) or tied on the outside of my pack, its bothersome. Either I can feel it digging into my back or hear the annoying clanging as I walk. Sure, I could ditch it and cook game over a fire with a green stick, thats all fine and dandy when small game season is in but what does one do the other times of the year. I like my hot tea, oats and such so I guess I'm stuck with it.
Then there was the time, my buddy snuck a fair sized rock in my bedroll. I thought it felt heavy but didn't find out for sure until we stopped for the day
:hmm:

I had the same problem, but solved it in my usual backwards way. I made a pack that fit my pot, the gusset accommodates the pot size and allows me to carry it comfortably without any poking.
Black Hand

Back