• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Harpers Ferry, WV (where John Brown was captured & hung)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher

36 Cl.
Reaction score
It took me literally 40 yrs to get this far in acquiring a muzzleloader, and I almost have it... Won't bore you with the history, but to say in 1977 I had decided to get a muzzleloader. Instead, life turned me on my heels and sent me to Northern Virginia, and hunting went out of my life. After some major health issues, which I'm still dealing with leukemia, and an encouraging wife saying "get out of the house" I'm back in the woods, and either a Lyman or TC is about to come my way, hopefully. I'm almost 67, but I'm not ready to give up, but start something new!

I'm very familiar with various rifles, guns, pistols & revolvers, but muzzleloaders I'm ignorant. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need from patches to powder. I'm going to need a lot of help, and I'm hoping you all can provide that. My selection looks to be percussion, .50cal, to be used for whitetail.

Thank you for accepting me on the forum. I've been reading many posts trying to learn, but I feel like I'm back in Latin class (clueless) in some cases. Youtube has helped some.

Welcome!

Some of us are happy you found us! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like!

(My pappy-in-law was born in Fairmont and THE ADMIRAL went to WVU. Go Mountaineers!)
Thank you. Many good people here willing to share their knowledge. Go MOUNTAINEERS! Beat CUSE!

I am familiar with Harpers Ferry. As a matter of fact I am trying to rebuild an 1842 Harpers Ferry and am looking for an original barrel or an original stock no matter the condition (it will be a wall hanger). The piece I have was about 9 inches cut off the end of the barrel and the stock beyond the first barrel band is gone. Good lock and good trigger mechanism, patch box is in great shape as is the brass decoration on the left side.

I am familiar with Harpers Ferry. As a matter of fact I am trying to rebuild an 1842 Harpers Ferry and am looking for an original barrel or an original stock no matter the condition (it will be a wall hanger). The piece I have was about 9 inches cut off the end of the barrel and the stock beyond the first barrel band is gone. Good lock and good trigger mechanism, patch box is in great shape as is the brass decoration on the left side.
Thank you for reaching out. You may want to contact our local gunsmith about your need. I don't know him personally, but have heard very good things about his work. At a minimum you might enjoy his website http://harpersferrycivilwarguns.com/ Best wishes on your rebuild.

William I believeThe gunsmith you are looking for is JOHN ZIMMERMAN, His shop was in Bolivar Heights just above Harpers Ferry, Been a while since I spoke to him very knowledgeable fellow I believe at one time he was the armorer for the N.P.S. at Harpers Ferry.

It took me literally 40 yrs to get this far in acquiring a muzzleloader, and I almost have it... Won't bore you with the history, but to say in 1977 I had decided to get a muzzleloader. Instead, life turned me on my heels and sent me to Northern Virginia, and hunting went out of my life. After some major health issues, which I'm still dealing with leukemia, and an encouraging wife saying "get out of the house" I'm back in the woods, and either a Lyman or TC is about to come my way, hopefully. I'm almost 67, but I'm not ready to give up, but start something new!

I'm very familiar with various rifles, guns, pistols & revolvers, but muzzleloaders I'm ignorant. I don't even know what kind of supplies I need from patches to powder. I'm going to need a lot of help, and I'm hoping you all can provide that. My selection looks to be percussion, .50cal, to be used for whitetail.

Thank you for accepting me on the forum. I've been reading many posts trying to learn, but I feel like I'm back in Latin class (clueless) in some cases. Youtube has helped some.
Welcome to the board... never too late for a second childhood, although the toys may cost considerably more!

William I believeThe gunsmith you are looking for is JOHN ZIMMERMAN, His shop was in Bolivar Heights just above Harpers Ferry, Been a while since I spoke to him very knowledgeable fellow I believe at one time he was the armorer for the N.P.S. at Harpers Ferry.
Hunter - That is correct. I've been by his shop many times, but never stopped. I need to stop by. Are you from the area?

Welcome to the Forum.
I have been on too short a visit to Harpers Ferry...twice. I also stopped at the gun shop, and a fellow working there was ranting about how this should still be part of Virginia, that the War was fought over secession. I couldn't argue with him, but it all depends on whose in charge.
Re your interest in percussion rifles, just go to the Percussion Rifle section of the Forum, click on the left side (instead of the current topic on the right side) and you will see all the previous threads on caplocks. Read away to your heart's content. Then, ask any questions you still have.

You are in for a world of enjoyment and, in some ways, a cure for what ails ye. I don't own any caplock rifles, but I have 2 flintlocks, both 1803 Harpers Ferry.

Richard/Grumpa

Welcome to the Forum.
I have been on too short a visit to Harpers Ferry...twice. I also stopped at the gun shop, and a fellow working there was ranting about how this should still be part of Virginia, that the War was fought over secession. I couldn't argue with him, but it all depends on whose in charge.
Re your interest in percussion rifles, just go to the Percussion Rifle section of the Forum, click on the left side (instead of the current topic on the right side) and you will see all the previous threads on caplocks. Read away to your heart's content. Then, ask any questions you still have.

You are in for a world of enjoyment and, in some ways, a cure for what ails ye. I don't own any caplock rifles, but I have 2 flintlocks, both 1803 Harpers Ferry.

Richard/Grumpa
There are some around here still fighting that war, though most have died off... Thanks for the welcome & offer.

Latest posts

Back