• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hard boiled eggs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Did the colonial woodsman ever carry these in there bag , I might have read it somewhere but forgot so parden me if it been asked before . I sure do like my chicken fetus :hatsoff: es

Almost certainly. I do know they carried hard-boiled eggs that had a coating of sausage mixed with fine corn meal then fried. There was a name for them but can't recall what it was.

Well, you have to think that 200 years ago, cholesterol was'nt even in the dictionary! And food that 'stuck to the ribs' was the best eatin'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Scotch eggs are really quite tasty, especially with some freshly prepared Coleman's mustard and a pint of Guiness (or my new favorite ale, Boddington's). We are lucky enough to have several Irish pubs here in Louisville that fry them up right!

:bow: Heck my Grandmother used to make them with ground beef instead of the sausage or with rounds steak called Rouladen. My wife (bless her soul) made her Italian Brascioli with either round steak sliced thin or using ground beef for the outer coat. :hatsoff:

I've wondered this as well. Anyone know what the "life" of a hardboiled egg is outside the refridgerator?

I'm a big fan of scotch eggs, as well. I put this recipe on here a while back that is a modified version (I called 'em meteorites, though maybe I should change it to meatierites... lol) with cheese in them as well. Man I'm hungry just thinking about it...

The salt in the sausage would provide some preservative effect, and black or red pepper more. Sealing them up well should do for a couple days, maybe more.

Hi all,
My Mom used to mix both chop beef & chop sausage meat together with bread crumbs and seasoning, and make a meat loaf. She would insert 2 or 3 hard boil eggs inside the loaf depending on the size. Than add some bread crumbs to the out side of the meat loaf and bake. When you cut a slice of meat, you would also have a slice of egg.
I just finished dinner, and I think I just worked up an appetite again. :grin:

Good appetite everyone
Yagee :hatsoff:

Hard boiled eggs in the shell keep well for at least a 3 days outside of the fridge, I've eaten them after easter this far removed from when they were boiled for many years with no ill effects...once they are boiled for a few minutes, all offending critters are effectively killed and the interior of the egg is inaccessible to microorganisms.

My recipe for a perfect hardboiled egg:

1. Add eggs carefully in single layer (pricking small hole in top is optional) to the cold water.
2. Cover all eggs with water by at least 1"
3. watch pot carefully, when the bubbles just begin to pop (around 200-205 F), remove the pot from the fire
4. cover and wait 17 minutes. Drain.
5. Put eggs in ice cold water straight out of the pot

Eggs will come out perfectly hard boiled everytime with this method. Yolks are nice and yellow (not green) and the eggs peel easily. Here's a tip to make sure the eggs peel easily: use old eggs! A week or so after you buy them is the perfect time to consider hard boiling.
If you're using new eggs, your eggs will look pretty bad after peeling (although it won't matter so much for a scotch egg!

Here is the ultimate egg post:
[url] http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=85222[/url]
Scroll down to "all about eggs"[url] http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36902[/url]
Info on "hard cooking" eggs

If you've never been to the egullet before, it's quite a site for cooking enthusiasts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite a site. I checked the egg cooking thread, the 'egg salad' recipe was missing a touch my mom added- pickel relish. She made her own but store bought is good also. Mother put some chopped cayenne pepper in hers, spicy! But great with bologna sandwich. The egg salad sandwiches she packed for picnics were all gobbled down, just crumbs left.

Don't know if they were 'carried in a bag' but pickled eggs would last a long time. I'm guessing pickles of all sorts were available in frontier days, I know corned beef was.

I have kept hard boiled eggs in the shell at a rendezvous for 4 or 5 days. It helps if they are kept on ice, but it isn't really necessary. Just keep them out of the sun and in a cool place. I usually boil up a dozen eggs to take with me. They serve as breakfast and lunch between shooting matches.

Many Klatch

gunslinger,
Check with the Easter bunny. What happens to the ones he hides that are not found:hmm:
snake-eyes

Blizzard,
More than one Easter bunny!!!!Say it ain't so....
Next thing you will tell me is that there is one in every department and pet store and on most corners:shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:
snake-eyes:hmm:

KyMan,
I have to ask this mainly because around Easter
we always had the typical egg basket when I was
a kid and it would set on the kitchen table for maybe a week or so.After that my mother would take the remaining eggs and make egg salad for sandwiches. Maybe someone can tell me, why after
being fully cooked and kept in the shell, is there a health issue after a week or so. Am I just
lucky to be alive or what? This was 45/50years ago.Maybe we did'nt get ill was because there was'nt someone there to tell us we should be????
By the standards of today about everything I ate as a youngster should have killed me by now:hmm:
snake-eyes :confused:

Unless the hard-boiled eggs got warm they will keep for a few days, maybe a week in the shell with no cracks or holes. Egg-salad on lightly toasted wheat bread, Uuumm.

Back