• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairsmith

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Any of y'all use a hammock? How PC is a hammock.
Hear in the south the ground is not the friendliest place, if it is not wet there are terrible little critters called Fireants invading yer blankets.

Inquiring minds looking for a good nights rest. :snore:

Hairsmith

Don't know about documentation in Texas, but hammocks were quite "old hat" in the world's navies. Even older in the Carribbean among the natives. I think you could certainly claim knowlege and prior exposure to hammocks. Would your charactor have had the ability to carry a hammock? It seems the extra canvas would be pretty dear, weight-wise. Check the site of the "HMS Richmond", they have a 1770's RN hammock pattern you could follow. Also might add that the "Crew" of the HMS Richmond will be at the 225th Anniversary of the Siege of Charleston next weekend. God Save Good King George!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Are we talkin "one if by land and two if by sea" or such not?
For the sea...yes...you see hammocks. In the Caribian Islands..the Indians used hammocks...bit have not seen any in the the US at that time period amoung the Natives. Now, I think some of our Southeastern Ren. could answer that better than me...but have not seen this amoung the Seminole of the past or today. :rolleyes: ::

Well lafitte lived in a hammock in the 1800s. And the european was introduced to it back in the 1400s when the spanish guy called Columbus found central america.

About ten years back the guys in the club I belonged too got into a sort of hammock making contest. Some really strange bedsites were strung between the trees of Cross Plains, TN that would have scared any self respecting longhunter to death!

There were hammocks, big hammocks, big hammocks with roofs, big hammocks with gun racks under their roofs, hammocks with drink holders and safty nets for them that drank in their hammocks.

You could always spot the ones that started drinking before they got into their hammocks, they were the ones sleeping on the ground!

It was halarious when it actually rained on these guys. Have you ever seen a drunk guy nearly drown after passing out in his hammock?

Hammocks were around during our early history, but they hardly pass the common/everyday/plain test of the common man.

If I lived in snake/fireant/scorpian country I'd get one!

:front:

Tried to put one in my tipi onece...that bowed the poles in too much.

:shake: :shocking:

Just a thought, but wouldn't sleeping in a hammock in the woods have put one at risk of easier detection by an enemy? Assuming a cold camp because you already had a fear of detection. I have thought about using a hammock, but then this crossed my mind and I wondered just how safe it would have been.

i dont' know if they are pc or not....but if you are work up by a bed of fireants you won't care!!!!!!i have one that my daughter brought me back from Columbia SOUTH America..a couple years ago........now thats a real comfy hammock.......real good camping addition....try it you will like it!!!!!!

(but if you are work up by a bed of fireants you won't care!!!!!)

That is the shame of it Fire Ants are not PC. As Ghost likes to say ( They did not have them around hear) Well not until the 1930's.

I have seen some of the South America hammock's that you lay in across it and they look to be very comfortable.

As far as detection buy enemy forces, that will depend on how high in the tree you sling your hammock.
Besides that Fire ants, snakes, and scorpions are ENEMY FORCES !

In so far as being PC, every sailor of the peiord and before was well versed in the art of tying a hammock of rope. As space was limited on board ships, all common hands slept in them. @ a reinactment you may very well be the incarnation of a military man that was previously said sailor. :hmm:
A rope hammock is also very light, thus easier to ruck, and with all the heavy items carried, thats a plus :front:

Latest posts

Back