• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hammer stops at half cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TarponStalker

54 Cal.
Reaction score
My first purchased flintlock is a CVA .32 Squirrel rifle. I bought it sometime in the 80s.
Back then I knew little about flintlocks and only used the sawn flints that either came with it or that I could find locally. These forums were not available to me back then so information was scarce.
Because of these things the gun wouldn’t shoot but about every fourth try. Unfortunately this created a bad flinching tendency for me. I don’t like guns that don’t shoot when they’re supposed to.
Anyway I put it away and haven’t looked at it for years. Except to acquire a percussion lock that I wanted to use to convert the rifle which I never did.
Anyway I’m sorry to be long winded but this is it’s history.
I recently took the gun out to see if I could get it to shoot.
when the hammer is at full cock and the set trigger is pulled first, the hammer only falls to half cock when the main trigger is pulled. If I use only the main trigger the hammer falls all the way. The lock functions fine when I manually trip the sear. I’ve checked everything I can think of including adjusting the triggers. I’ve checked to make sure the lock parts aren’t touching any wood. Does anyone have any ideas of something I can check ?
Thanks

Sounds like your lock is missing it’s fly. It’s the small piece in the red circle.
1612559553868.jpeg

I thought of that too but wouldn’t that also be an issue when tripping the seat with my finger ?
This lock is strange to me. It has a small screw with a spring near the inside top area. I’m starting to think it replaces a fly and may be the problem. I’ll post a photo

I thought of that too but wouldn’t that also be an issue when tripping the seat with my finger ?
This lock is strange to me. It has a small screw with a spring near the inside top area. I’m starting to think it replaces a fly and may be the problem. I’ll post a photo

Attachments

• 235A4AD2-D8CC-4262-9E6C-4C24E1B4BA46.jpeg
    235A4AD2-D8CC-4262-9E6C-4C24E1B4BA46.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 97
No because your finger is holding the sear back.
The sear flies forward when you use the set triggers.

Y’all are correct. I just took lock apart. No fly. Haha. I’ll never find a fly to fit this lock. She may go back to the closet.
I’ll try Deer Creek first. I found a frizzen spring from them.

I just remembered the small CVA percussion lock I had gotten to convert the gun to cap. I’ll be doing some part swapping later tonight. It does have a fly if I can manage to remove it without dropping it on the floor.
I’ll let y’all know how it turns out.

Disassemble the lock in a box on a towel or rag to catch any parts that want to fly. And if you are like me take pictures so you can put it back together correctly. On some locks the fly can go in two ways but it only works one way. Also get another fly if you can.

My first purchased flintlock is a CVA .32 Squirrel rifle. I bought it sometime in the 80s.
Back then I knew little about flintlocks and only used the sawn flints that either came with it or that I could find locally. These forums were not available to me back then so information was scarce.
Because of these things the gun wouldn’t shoot but about every fourth try. Unfortunately this created a bad flinching tendency for me. I don’t like guns that don’t shoot when they’re supposed to.
Anyway I put it away and haven’t looked at it for years. Except to acquire a percussion lock that I wanted to use to convert the rifle which I never did.
Anyway I’m sorry to be long winded but this is it’s history.
I recently took the gun out to see if I could get it to shoot.
when the hammer is at full cock and the set trigger is pulled first, the hammer only falls to half cock when the main trigger is pulled. If I use only the main trigger the hammer falls all the way. The lock functions fine when I manually trip the sear. I’ve checked everything I can think of including adjusting the triggers. I’ve checked to make sure the lock parts aren’t touching any wood. Does anyone have any ideas of something I can check ?
Thanks
Just got my Renegade back from T/C same problem. Fly was missing

Disassemble the lock in a box on a towel or rag to catch any parts that want to fly. And if you are like me take pictures so you can put it back together correctly. On some locks the fly can go in two ways but it only works one way. Also get another fly if you can.
Long ago I realized the importance of always working "inside the box". when working on locks. I keep a large cardboard box around so that I can lay it on its side on my work table and work inside the box. The box catches anysmall objects dropped or spring "shot".

Long ago I realized the importance of always working "inside the box". when working on locks. I keep a large cardboard box around so that I can lay it on its side on my work table and work inside the box. The box catches anysmall objects dropped or spring "shot".

Also can be done in a Gallon Size Plastic Food Storage Bag.

Gus

Some rifles were made without a fly and the stop was due to the hammer, when moving forward, catching the half cock notch. When the front trigger is pulled without the half cock, the sear is moved away far enough to allow the hammer to miss the half cock notch. Why? Not the hardest metals on those rifle's locks. If this is the case, there are remedies. Try adjusting the screw/spring which sets your set trigger pull. But first, you need to clean that lock.

I know this is a very late reply,,, but,, i was having the same problem, hammer fall to half cock,, when i used the set trigger,, if i didn't use the set trigger it would fall all the way.. after reading this thread, i thought my "fly" was missing,, but upon inspection, it had swiveled over "out of place" hardly visible under the bridle., i rotated it back to correct position & tightened the loose bridle screws, & it works fine again.. hope this helps someone (tc renegade flintlock)

Latest posts

Back