• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hall Breech loading Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krolick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up an original 1826 Hall last month. It's in poor condition but I got it as a restore/shooter project. The 1826 and 24's saw the highest use of pre-civil war Halls. The 6th infantry was issued 1826 Halls in the Blackhawk war of 1832. They were also used in the Seminole War of the mid 1830's and again in the war with Mexico. The Civil War saw the highest use of Halls, most exclusively by our southern soldiers. The 1824's thru 38 dated Hall's are found with documented Confederate use. The one I have was one of 1000 made in 1826 and saw much use, finally coming to rest after the muzzle end of the barrel was bent and cracked and the stock fractured. There's also a lot of wood rot. Of interest, this Hall has the cryptic stock assembler / inspection stamps under its butt plate. First time I've seen them on a non-24 dated Hall. I've already secured a new Hall stock from Dunlap, and am making arrangements to first straighten the muzzle, then send it to B.Hoyt for relining. Before leaving the subject of Hall rifles, this pass week, I was shown an excerpt from the travel log of Elizabeth Waters, daughter of Asa Waters. She traveled with her father to government auctions and armories bidding on stock rejects, locks and scrap iron. On one of their stops at Harpers Ferry, Elizabeth visited the rifle shop and Mr. Hall. She remarked in her journal, he was a tall man of 6'4" in height and pale in complexion with light hair and green eyes and writes of how polite he was. She also adds the rifle shop was quite a wilderness of machinery, stagnate water and rocks. If I can, I will try to get a copy of the entire journal. That's all for now. G.S.
PICT0007_zps3044f25a.jpg
[/URL][/img]
PICT0006_zps27fef022.jpg
[/URL][/img]
PICT0005_zps3d1d2e91.jpg
[/URL][/img]
PICT0004_zpsdd5f467b.jpg
[/URL][/img]
PICT0003_zpsfa3263c4.jpg
[/URL][/img]
PICT0002_zpse9fd854d.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Hi Gulielmus. That Hall is a really good find. Congrats. :thumbsup: Yes, that one would appear to be a good candidate for a restore/shooter project. please keep us posted on your progress.
I've had a number of barrels lined by Bobby Hoyt. Some you can't even tell their is a liner when you look at the muzzle end. Especially after shooting a few times. The only ones you can tell have a liner is where the original barrel was not perfectly straight. But, that is compensated for during the liner install process. So either way, you end up with a straight barrel. I have photos of the muzzle ends of barrels that Bobby did if you want to see them.
Anyway, this should be a neat project. Thanks for posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

Thanks for sharing, I've always liked that rifle. Let us know how it shoots.

My Best Friend in life had a pretty extensive collection of Hall Rifles prior to his passing. He used to say Hall Rifles were so ugly, they were beautiful. Though they look ungainly, they handle better than they look. He actually shot MOST of his Hall Rifles at least one time to say it could be done. I shot one of his Flint Hall's and though it is an accurate rifle and fun to shoot, I was not enamored with it. Got to watch how closely the breech fits the barrel for gas leakage. Not sure if he ever shot his "Hall Civilian Model Flintlock" as it was so Gosh Darned Expensive. When we discussed it after he purchased it in the 90's, I told him I would NEVER shoot such a valuable and rare firearm and I think that was one of the few, if not the only original rifle he never shot even one time.

Gus

They are beautiful in a hideous sort of way :hatsoff:

Now all you have to do is figure out how to get some grease passed the forcing cone. Then come back and tell us how to do it :thumbsup:

Well, there's no forcing cone, just a stepped chamber in the receiver. The bore .52 and has 16 groves at a twist of 1 turn in 90". This slow twist was used so shot could be fired as well as a ball. The bore is also progressively tapered as it goes toward the muzzle, a choke bore if you like. I've been shooting Halls for nearly 30 years now and have even built 2 War of 1812 vintage Halls - one musket and one .36 cal rifle. Many years ago there was a company called Ordnance Park. They made a kit for the 1842 Hall carbines. I made 3 of them. That's all for now. G.S.

There is a multi-level display addressing manufacturing in Maine (called Made in Maine?) that includes a small rifle shop. A nearly completed early civilian Hall as well as parts for more are displayed there. I always suspected the parts came from the Rifle Shoppe. As an aside when Dwight Demeritt published his book "Maine Made Guns and Their Makers" the museum featured a display under the same name. Two of my Lealands, made in Augusta, were in the display.

hawkeye2 said:
There is a multi-level display addressing manufacturing in Maine (called Made in Maine?) that includes a small rifle shop. A nearly completed early civilian Hall as well as parts for more are displayed there. I always suspected the parts came from the Rifle Shoppe.

Yup, still available:
http://www.therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/us_arms/(645).htm

and they have the '36, '40 and '43 Hall Carbines available as parts sets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez. $1900 for an assembled parts set! No telling when it might get to you. Better itemize it in your will!

Of interest, this Hall has the cryptic stock assembler / inspection stamps under its butt plate. First time I've seen them on a non-24 dated Hall

Thanks for the great info on the Hall rifle. Good luck with your restoration. For your information, my Hall rifle is dated 1826 and it has the stock assembler/inspections stamps under the butt plate.

Back