• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Haggis Day

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh what? You have an objection to long pigšŸ˜‚
I work nights, one night about 3AM when the Soviet Union was breaking up we were all talking about what would happen. One possibility was to save the union the Soviets would start a nuclear war.
Our secretary said if she heard missiles coming she would just run out side and wait for it.
I said they might hit Little Rock and the base there, or Fort Leonard Wood, but I doubt they would shoot Mountain Home Arkansas. We would just have to live through the aftermath.
She had never thought of this she said and asked what I would do.
I would gather up my neighbors and put them in my smoke house.
How would you feed them she asked.
Oh my, you have the wrong idea, I said. They would feed me the first year, then I would have their cattle the next.
It took her a moment to understand what I said
OMG!!!!
I donā€™t know if she ever figured out I was making a joke, but I followed up with telling her the story of John Johnson ( the liver eater)šŸ˜‚
Now that's just funny there...

Isacc, very nice presentation and background of your area. Upton Sinclair (?)- The Jungle. Never heard of a haggis toss but did the caber. Originated to break up the formation of the Roman legion's flying wedge if I heard correct. What are neaps and tatties, peas and potatoes? Sam Arnold of the Fort Restaurant in Morrison, Co used to have an annual Awful Offal dinner. Bison tongue was anything but awful. A friend who visited Scotland bought a can of haggis to give as a gag gift. His dad made it stateside but never got the hang of playing the pipes. Nor did his neighbors.
Neeps and tatties: Turnips and potatoes.

The Irish call Rutabagas (Yellow Turnip, Swedish Turnip) just "turnips. Probably the same in Scotland. In any event, yeah, the "turnip" is the yellow or Rutabaga. Mash them up and put in a lump of butter.
On the Haggis, you toast the oats in a hot fry pan. Dry pan, no oil. Takes a while but you need that toasted taste, then chopped up onions. Lamb stock would be nice. Campbell Soup used to have "Scotch Broth" and it sort of tastes like that. It is hard to find all the ingredients. The Pennsylvania Dutch have Hog Maw, which is sort of the same idea.

Used to eat potted meat on saltine crackers. Back then, the Underwood Deviled Ham was top self for special occasions. Just didnā€™t know any better, but Iā€™m still here for the most part.
ā€˜All that is sold in a Shambles is good to eatā€™ Saint Paul of Tarsus

My favourite part in Upton Sinclair's The Jungle was when workers periodically cleaned out the large pickling vats and discovered the bone remains of workers that accidently slipped in. Those fine workers soon appeared on the breakfast tables of Americans across the country šŸ˜².
Now, Haggis is starting to look appealing ...
Pete
In the British navy they called salt beef salt horse thinking it was old worn out draft horses that feed the kings seaman. And ā€˜ oh let it be said, a black man or drunken sailor take care and walk not near the Knockers yard on a dark nightā€™

In the British navy they called salt beef salt horse thinking it was old worn out draft horses that feed the kings seaman. And ā€˜ oh let it be said, a black man or drunken sailor take care and walk not near the Knockers yard on a dark nightā€™
Probably a fair amount of rat meat there too for good measure.

They used to capture rats on board. Feed them on hardtack and slush from the meat soaking buns and after a few weeks had some rattitolie.
Iā€™ve eaten woods rat, cant tell it from squirrel .

They used to capture rats on board. Feed them on hardtack and slush from the meat soaking buns and after a few weeks had some rattitolie.
Iā€™ve eaten woods rat, cant tell it from squirrel .
Never eaten Woods rat, but I believe it did taste like squirrel. The diet of both is quite similar. I had to shoot one a couple of years ago because it just wouldn't stay out of the shop and was making a mess. I call them Pack rats because they will take most any shiny object they can carry, but they're one and the same as the Woods rat. They're actually kinda cute with their furry ears and tail.

Move to New York city, a fella could get fat on rats there. šŸ˜‚
Yeah but isnā€™t it illegal to shoot and eat politicians?
Or I bet you mean the Norwegian rats there.
As said above them woods rats, pack rats eat a nice healthy diet. Donā€™t know Iā€™d want a city ratšŸ˜‚

Currently in Oban, Scotland. Haggis is different everywhere here. Some good, some not so good. Pic of gumports.

Attachments

• 81FF463B-F76A-4659-8944-EFB9B8CC447D.jpeg
    81FF463B-F76A-4659-8944-EFB9B8CC447D.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back