• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

wooden cannon again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benvenuto

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I know we've been over this before, but since we in Australia only got to see Mythbusters episode 6 last week, I was wondering...
Can anyone actually name a concrete reference to wooden cannon being used in the pre-flintlock period?

After Mythbusters called me about 18 months back*** (they saw my website and figured I would know all about wooden cannon!) I did a little research. The only info on wooden cannon i could find was:

-the mythbusters example of the town of Paks in Hungary (also on the Darwin awards site)

-many references to "Quaker cannons" ie fake cannon made to fool enemy spies. One example was shown in the TV series, "Simplicimus Simplicissimus"(German,about the 30 years war) the hero constructs a fake wooden cannon to persuade an enemy town to surrender

-many references to "toy" canon used for 4th of July salutes etc.

-in the film "The Mission", Robert de Niro shows the Guarani indians how to make two wooden cannon.This is apparently based on fact
At the time (1753) when, in company with another Indian, one Jose, mayor of San Miguel, he headed the Indian revolt, he was a man of middle age, tall, taciturn and grave, and not ill-looking, though marked across the cheek with a disfiguring scar. At no time was he even a lay brother of the Jesuit Order, as by their rules in Paraguay no Indians were ever taken either as lay brothers or as priests. So little was the man feared by the authorities that, once the Indians' resistance was over, Nicolas went to the Spanish camp, was quietly heard, dismissed, and then continued in his office as the mayor of his native place. The legend sprang from a mistake in Guarani, to which perhaps a little malice gave its artful charm. In Guarani the word `Rubicha' signifies a chief, whereas `Nfurabicha' means king. The two, pronounced by one but ill acquainted with the language sound identical. Nothing was more likely than that the Indians should call their general their chief; had they thought really of settling upon a king, it is certain that they would have chosen one of the family of some well-known chief, and not an Indian merely appointed mayor by the Jesuits. But be that as it may, General Neenguiru, though he has left some interesting letters, which are preserved in the archives of Simancas, showed no capacity for generalship.** Throughout the course of the campaign he endeavoured to replace his want of skill by tricks and by intrigues, but of so futile a nature that they were frustrated and rendered useless at once. His first endeavour was to gain time, when he found himself with seventeen hundred men opposed to Andonaegui, Governor of Buenos Ayres, who had an army well equipped with guns, of about two thousand men. Neenguiru wrote to Andonaegui, telling him that the Indians were ready to submit, and then, whilst waiting for an answer, set about fortifying the position which he held. Warned by a spy, Andonaegui attacked at once, and drove the Indians from their trenches like a flock of sheep, taking their wooden cannon, lances, and banners, and killing thirteen hundred of them

- Kentucky in 1778
Kentucky's terrible year, 1778, opened with a severe disaster to the white settlers--when Boone with thirty men, while engaged in making salt at the "Lower Salt Spring," was captured in February by more than a hundred Indians, sent by Governor Hamilton of Detroit to drive the white settlers from "Kentucke." Boone remained in captivity until early summer, when, learning that his Indian captors were planning an attack in force upon the Transylvania Fort, he succeeded in effecting his escape. After a break-neck journey of one hundred and sixty miles, during which he ate but one meal, Boone finally arrived at the big fort on June 20th. The settlers were thus given ample time for preparation, as the long siege did not begin until September 7th. The fort was invested by a powerful force flying the English flag--four hundred and forty-four savages gaudy in the vermilion and ochre of their war-paint, and eleven Frenchmen, the whole being commanded by the French-Canadian, Captain Dagniaux de Quindre, and the great Indian Chief, Black-fish who had adopted Boone as a son. In the effort to gain his end de Quindre resorted to a dishonorable stratagem, by which he hoped to outwit the settlers and capture the fort with but slight loss. "They formed a scheme to deceive us," says Boone, "declaring it was their orders, from Governor Hamilton, to take us captives, and not to destroy us; but if nine of us would come out and treat with them, they would immediately withdraw their forces from our walls, and return home peacably." Transparent as the stratagem was, Boone incautiously agreed to a conference with the enemy; Callaway alone took the precaution to guard against Indian duplicity. After a long talk, the Indians proposed to Boone, Callaway, and the seven or eight pioneers who accompanied them that they shake hands in token of peace and friendship. As picturesquely described by Daniel Trabue:

"The Indians sayed two Indians must shake hands with one white man to make a Double or sure peace at this time the Indians had hold of the white men's hands and held them. Col. Calloway objected to this but the other Indians laid hold or tryed to lay hold of the other hand but Colonel Calloway was the first that jerked away from them but the Indians seized the men two Indians holt of one man or it was mostly the case and did their best to hold them but while the man and Indians was a scuffling the men from the Fort agreeable to Col. Calloway's order fired on them they had a dreadful skuffel but our men all got in the fort safe and the fire continued on both sides."

During the siege Callaway, the leader of the pioneers, made a wooden cannon wrapped with wagon tires, which on being fired at a group of Indians "made them scamper perdidiously." The secret effort of the Indians to tunnel a way underground into the fort, being discovered by the defenders, was frustrated by a countermine. Unable to outwit, outfight, or outmaneuver the resourceful Callaway, de Quindre finally withdrew on September 16th, closing the longest and severest attack that any of the fortified stations of Kentucky had ever been called upon to withstand.

-this reference from Italy in 1848
The insurrection at Palermo broke out on the 4th ult. It was announced to the people by a loud report of musketry. The police, well aware that in the church and in the stores of Gancia (a convent at the east end of the capital) men, ammunition,a and arms had been assembled, made an onset against the place, which they had previously encompassed all round. Canons were reared in that part of the marine plain which looks in a straight line toward the main door of the church. The doors were thrown down on the first discharge, and a storming party of troops and policemen advanced. They were received by volleys of musketry; but the defenders inside were but forty. A few of them fell dead; several others were wounded; some made their escape over the roof; others sought refuge in the sepulchral vaults; thirteen were taken, and these, laden with chains, were led to prison, followed by thirty of the monks, who were dragged along as prisoners. Arms, ammunition, and a wooden cannon with iron hoops were found in the church and store-rooms.

Obediah Gore in Connecticut, (1750's?):
"Pride of ancestry is inherent in the human race from earliest ages, as is evidenced in the Jews, boasting from their descent from Abraham, and from our aborigines in their war dances, singing the deeds of their fathers, and the members of the D.A.R. are proud to claim their descent from Revolutionay sires. Hence, I may be excused if I say, I am proud to claim descent from him whose portrait you have just unveiled. Judge Gore comes of English ancestry, and is of the fourth generation from John Gore and wife, Rhoda, who settled in Roxbury, Mass., now a part of the city of Boston, in 1635. His father, Obadiah Gore, moved to Connecticut, where our subject was born in the town of Norwich in 1744. He resided there and at Plainfield until after his marraige to Anna Avery. His mothwer was Hannah Park, sister of Thomas Park, who settled in Litchfield. He had five children: Avery, who married Lucy, daughter of Silas Gore; Anna married John Shephard; Hannah married Elisha Durkee; Wealth Ann married John Spalding, and Sally married Isaac Cash. He moved to Wyoming with his father, brothers and sisters in 1768. Several of the family were blacksmiths. He and his brother, Daniel, were the first to use anthracite coal for Blacksmith purposes, and it was their success that brought about the success of burning it in a grate in the old Fell house. He took up a farm where the village of Kingston now is and had a town-house in Wilkes-Barre, near the site of the Wyoming Valley hotel. He, with others, built a mill on a creek now known as Mill Creek, above Wilkes-Barre. Having settled under the Connecticut grant, he became actively engaged in the Pennamite war. He, with his brother, Daniel, built the wooden cannon which held the enemy in check, but it would not stand the pressure and soon exploded; but I will not give a history of that war, as it is familiar to students of history.

-Siege of Wheeling (Kentucky? 1777?)

the Indians fired their wooden cannon, within 15 yds of the fort, and it busted. At Muskingum, on their way out, the negro said, they made one wrapped with elk tugs, and made some noise, but this with chains that did not give. The next night there was some firing. Friday, about noon, they last were seen on Wheeling Island. The men then ran out of the fort and fired on them. Tate, an Irishman, seized the wooden cannon and shouldered it, hollowaing out, "Tell your master that you left an Irishman running off with your cannon." Col Williamson did not come until late in the day, marching with some 40 men. On Sat, Rice's Blockhouse was besieged by a part of this enemy. Sunday morning early, 40 men (including Burkam and Moses Shepherd) under Capt Ezekial De Witt, went from Lamb's fort, some 2 miles off, and followed the trail some distance. [He] don't think Rice went from Lamb's during Sunday night. End of Stephen Burkam's narrative

-Russo-japanese war 1904-5
Assault weapons used by the Japanese included crude hand grenades made from cartridge or shell cases filled with explosives and detonated by lighting a fuse. They also employed wooden mortars reinforced with bamboo lashings, which could be moved into a forward position by one man (these immediately recall the

Wood mortars were made and used by the Union forces during the Siege of Vicksburg. The Confederates also made one and used it during the Siege of Mobile.

See O.R., Series I, Vol XXIV, pt. 2, pages 173 & 179, 181, 208

Guys,

There are two wooden cannons, as I recall, in the miltary museum is the archbishop's castle in Saltzburg, Austria. One is a hollowed out log and the other is an iron tube surrounded by wood and iron hoops. I have forgotten the dates and the labels. They appear to be from the middle ages. There is also a 17th century field piece with a limber painted candy striped red and white. The reason for the colors was the guns were plainly visible to commanding officers. C.M. :m2c: :thumbsup:

(they saw my website and figured I would know all about wooden cannon!)
I know how you feel. People see my avatar and figure I know all about prehistoric squirrels. ::

The mention of these wooden cannons exploding at least makes those accounts more believable, and there seems to be documentation out there about wooden cannons and mortars. So why not?

...fired a cannon made out of a tree trunk...it is reported to have killed at least 20 people standing behind it.
I don't suppose it killed anyone standing in front of it...? :haha:

An ice bullet, huh? I suppose it could be kept in a small dry-ice container to keep it frozen during the search for the target and preparing for the shot. But how would it be kept frozen under the heat of combustion and friction in the bore? It would also weigh much less than a lead bullet, meaning it would either have to be an extreme close-range proposition (where other weapons would be much more practical), or a really long ice bullet in order to maintain enough velocity over a long distance, which would necessitate an extrememly fast twist, which would probably make it break apart in the barrel, which would mean... Well, let's just say that a cannon made from a tree trunk sounds more practical than an ice bullet. ::

I actually missed the ice bullet episode...
I was at class that night and forgot to switch the VCR on :(
I thought the wooden cannon test was a great show, although I did laugh a bit at the boy's blacksmithing efforts :)
I've never seen a spoon-bit like that before, and if I was boring a cannon, even in wood I would want a beam-drill or a proper cannon mill and a couple of mules to power it :)

Its a real shame they didn't fire a few more stone balls and chronograph them or somthing. It would have been good to see how much NORMAL use they could get before a catastrophic failure. Really, going from 6 ounces of serpentine powder to 5 pounds of cannon powder in one fell swoop was a bit ridiculous... :curse:

When Francis Bannerman Sons was doing business on lower Broadway in New York City (before relocating to Blue Point, LI), they published a large catalog full of surplus military equipment from various wars. One of the illustrations was a Phillipine cannon (made by insurgents?) using a length of gas pipe, with wood segments around the outside and secured by iron bands.

Wel I know this was during the flintlock period, but one was built by Daniel Boone during the indians seige of boonesborough (I just killed that name, pardon the spelling).

- USMC sniper

I have a book by W.W. Greener of shotgun fame, written and published over about a 20-year span around 1900. He has a picture of what he describes as a wooden cannon of
Cochin, China. He says "Various substitutes for metal have been used for constructing cannon and mortars. Leather was probably the most successful; it was often used by the Venetians, sometimes in conjunction with hempen rope, sometimes alone. A leather cannon was fired three times at King's Park, Edinburgh, in October, 1788. Cannon of paper, brought from Syria by the Crusaders, are preserved at Malta..." The book, reprinted by The Lyons Press, is interesting. But, in a description of revolvers, he shows a Colt Dragoon as the "original Colt Revolver." In another chapter, he does advise young shooters not to be smart-elbows and outshoot their elders. graybeard :nono:

1118 moors in spain,while in china in 60s saw a repo of 2 1 made of bambo 2nd wood strips coverede in dryed leather.

I thought the besieging Indians made the wood cannon at the Siege of Boonesboro. ::

Indians under the command of Simon Girty built and TRIED to use a wooden cannon at the siege of Ft. Henry at Wheeling, (West) Virginia with disasterous results to themselves. It blew up and killed several who were awhoopin' and ahollerin' around it instead of gettin' back out of the way. They raided the blacksmith shop and reinforced a hollowed out log with hoops and straps, then loaded it with pieces of chain and scrap iron. Might of worked except they had the same mindset as Tim Allen and wanted "more power". They miscalulated the powder charge and a bunch ended up in the Happy Huntin' Grounds. :front:

Im happy you put that in. One side of family defened Vicksbrug and we still got some of the stuff used, along with a flag belts unaform parts 2 Enfields (one I shoot) is acoehorn and part of the base and barrel of a wood mortar, it really was more of a grenade chuncke as the back pages of the family Bible tells it,made from a black oak I think, we tryed to chop on one and the axe just bounced off of it. The wood one is about 24" wide and long, it would take 4 big guys to carry it 10 feet,the bore is around 4" and burned black no fuse hole. Dont know about now but back in the 60s and 70s once in a while someone working in or on a basement would run into a shell of some kind. Behind the Wright family church was a pile of shells I just knew would go off some day not yet! :front: :front:

I saw a cannon made from copper tube wrapped in leather and burlap in the museum of the Polish Military in Warsaw. Bore was about 2.5 inches. And I have fired empty 20 ounce pop bottles out of a cardboard tube.

in the museum of the Polish Military in Warsaw. Bore was about 2.5 inches.

Polish, military, museum, Warsaw :what:

Didn't happen to see this little treasure that they pulled out of the river Vistula in 1913, did you? ::

wheel.jpg

It's part of a 17th century, European style, split trail gun carriage, shame about the axle.

Only a very few survive and none of the common or garden variety, apart from this thing.
I have one reference in Polish Armies 1569-1696 (2) by Richard Brzezinski.

No I did not see that one. They have a great collection though. Best collection of wheel locks I have ever seen.

I just saw this post, so I know I'm running a little late, but I hope this helps you out. This information comes from a book called "The History of Nevada, 1881" by Thompson and West. It tells about a wooden cannon built for use against the Piute Indians during the war with them in 1860. It seems like the Piutes got really tired of being treated the way they were and the straw that broke the camels back was when several brothers took several Piute women against their will and were holding them at their trading station on the Carson River near where Fallon, NV is now. A bunch of the Piute men went from Pyramid Lake down to Williams station, killed all the white guys there (4 I think) and took their women home. The miners at Virginia City were outraged that the Indians would do such a dastardly deed (Hmmmm? maybe the Indians loved their women kids, but nobody probably thought of that) and formed a posse or militia or mob or what ever you want to call it of Virginia City volunteers and rode out to Pyramid lake to kick some Indian butt. BUT, it seems the Indians had other ideas, and they kicked miners butts, and sent them packing in a hurry, as I recall killing something like 46 with some sources saying up to 70 whites were killed. Supposedly this was the worst white defeat before Custer. Anyhow, this scared the living #%$&* out of the people in Virginia City, and they gathered all the women and kids together in town. Fearing a direct attack from the Indians they built a wooden cannon. A wood barrel reinforced with iron bands like barrel hoops/bands. Eventually the white guys won the war with the Piutes. The Indians had never attacked the town, in fact they were on the defensive for the rest of the conflict. Of course the government brought overwhelming force to bear on the Indians and they didn't have a chance after that. But -- after all of that, here is this wooden cannon that was used to guard the women and kids and the town of Virginia City. So one of the guys decided that they ought to test fire it just to see if how well it would have worked, and just how safe they really were, so they did, and it blew up. That's the only wooden cannon I've heard of, and the book is rather hard to come by anymore. I have a reprint I bought probably 40 years ago. I've seen the same story in other books, but I think the original source comes from this one printed in 1881. Hope this helps.

Early siege cannons were made to shoot really big round sculpted rocks, like they would have used in a trebuchet. Typical construction was just what the coopers understood with staves and bands.

Early siege cannons were made to shoot really big round sculpted rocks, like they would have used in a trebuchet. Typical construction was just what the coopers understood with staves and bands.
I remember reading that the Turks had this giant cannon tube, I think it was perhaps 3' dug into the ground overlooking the Dardanelles. I'm not sure what it was made of, but they calculated the impact point based upon the powder charge.

Latest posts

Back