• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Had my first misfire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As usual I spent sunday morning at 5 Dogs range.
on shot # 150 I had my first misfire !
The cap did not detonate. CRUD ! No big deal but it broke my "perfect" record on shooting black powder guns. Well nothings perfect I guess, it just shows no matter how careful you are when loading things can go wrong. The cap showed the hammer hit it but no boom, just click. I waited for a few seconds just to make sure it was a dud. On the whole I have had very good luck using CCI primers ( I know others have not ) so I guess it was a factory glitch of some kind.

nilo52

If I understand correctly, you loaded your rifle properly and the rifle functioned perfectly and the only problem was a faulty cap. If this is correct, I wouldn't count it as a break in your perfect score. It wasn't your fault and it wasn't your rifle's fault so I wouldn't count it as a break. If you were testing the reliability of CCI caps, then it would be a break. Otherwise, I wouldn't count it.

I would have to count it as a break in the chain.

If that cap had been loaded for an important shoot; ie durring a hunt or in self defense, that miss fire would have been a game changer.

Which prompts a new thought:
Is it legal to make home made percussion caps? Not that I would have the first fogiest clue how.

A friend of mine bought one and said it was a piece of manure and a waste of money. Personally, I have had no experience with them or any caps made with one. Just the word of a good friend who knows a lot about muzzleloading, having been a member of the board of NMLRA.

thats pretty cool!

i would buy one but it says the product is discontinued. :(

I don't know what changed but back in the 70s I used to buy those plastic caps. They came in round moldings that fit revolver type cap guns or straight line moldings of probably 8 caps. They worked just fine on my CVA Hawkin and Philadelphia derringer. I tried again when I got back into this about 7 years ago. No such luck, they would not set off a charge. Too bad because they were and still are cheap. Have no idea what that has to do with this post. More on topic, I have on the rare occasion had the priming disk fall out of the cap rendering it useless. I have only shot CCI since I got back into this, so it may be a problem unique to CCI Caps :idunno:

When I used them, they would almost always blow totally off the nipple. There would be just a little piece left under the hammer.

I just did some online searching and if you buy like 200+ plastic caps for a toy they cost like 3 bucks and no hazmat fee.
If you order a tin of 100 #10 caps they will cost you an arm and a leg in hazmat fee and product costs...

Same basic thing, diferant encasing material and purpose, yet the cost is substantialy diferant.
I now think the hazmat fee for a tin of caps is stupid. I was ok with it until 5 minutes ago.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel better !
The info on alternative caps was very interesting as well. Where I live the only brand sold are CCI caps, but maybe I'll give the other ideas a try. :hatsoff:

Nilo52

I have been having misfires using Remington #10 caps lately. My last time out I had five caps go off with a small pop, but the charge doesn't go off. I put another cap on and the revolver discharges without problem. This has occurred in several previous shooting sessions with different guns. I can't use #10 or #11 CCI caps on my Uberti's or Pietta revolvers because they won't sit all the way down on the nipples and restricts the cylinder from rotating. The Remington's and RWS #10 fit perfectly.

When I have the time and can remember to, I look inside the cap and see if it looks like it has enough goody in it. I have always used RWS and they don't have foil lining and have found a few bare copper cups over the years. Sometimes I have noticed crud on the nipple from the previous cap that could be a factor.

Scott

Good observations by GST and cynthialee. I think I may start running a pin through the flash hole prior to reloading and see if the problem disappears and be more aware of the cap contents. I should have thought of this,thanks!

tripe1917 said:
I can't use #10 or #11 CCI caps on my Uberti's or Pietta revolvers because they won't sit all the way down on the nipples and restricts the cylinder from rotating.

This is really odd because I have several Uberti and several Pietta revolvers with which I have shot hundreds of rounds using only CCI caps. Perhaps your pistols' nipples just need a good scrubbing?? 'Tis a puzzlement. :confused:

Back