• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A Minuteman

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was because I got an early one or maybe I was just lucky but I wish I still had it.

From what I've found, Numrich guns were made by Palmetto. From what experience I've had with Palmetto their quality was spotty at best. Sometimes you could get a real gem, then the next one is total trash.

Hi folks, been around but don't post much.
I have a MM that I built from a kit I got from Dixie in 1973. It came as a precussion and in later years I bought a flintlock also from Dixie and did a converson which was easy due to the gun being built to be ether one.
It hangs today over my fireplace but she introduced me to BP and she shoots very well. The gun I have is a 45 with a one turn in 66" and .10 deep rifling if I remember right. I still pull her down on occasions and make smoke.
Yes there were better guns around back then but the MM was a good deal at the time.

DJ

Welcome to the forum, Don. I guess I'm the guy who bought the one that worked in 1969. Some say they were no good but others like me had great success with them.

Thanks, To may smart guys here for me to add much even though I've done this for 40 years on and off.

DJ

Yes, I was told by TOTW that the Minuteman was probably by Palmetto. As built, mine was pretty bad. But at one time, it was my dream gun!

THE DREAM
Owning one of these in flint was the reason I got my first job. At $1 an hour in 1970 (busboy) it was an uphill climb that never happened. At 16 my interest shifted and I got a Sears bass instead. The band had more "social" possibilities I suppose.

Years later I saw one in a hardware store and bought it, a .36 percussion with a 15/16" straight barrel.
My load was 28g 3F with 00 Buck. .340 balls were hard to find, and the 00 did just fine. Killed a lot of pop cans at 50yds.

THE PROBLEMS
The mainspring was just a piece of metal hooked around a screw. Often it took 2-3 times for a hard enough hit to go off. I got a Dixie lock for it to do a flint conversion. It didn't work.
The hardware was cheap by today's standards. Thimbles were brass tubes glued in. Buttplate was sheet brass. Inletting was not great. Breechplug was a big Allen screw.
The barrel was 9# or so. Still it was the best part of the gun by far.

THE SOLUTION
After a lot trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, I got rid of everything but the barrel. Turned a flint touchhole plug out of a bolt, and put together all new parts. It works pretty well with a Chambers Golden Age lock! Finished weight is 10#+, so I don't take it out much.

This has been my experience with The Minuteman. Dreams are nice, but sometimes when you wake up...

Enjoy the pursuit! :hatsoff:

John

Back