• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

H&A Boot Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc45-70

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked this up this mourning for $200.00

1.jpg

3.jpg

50 caliber.

It's in great shape with an excellent bore.

What do you think?

SC45-70

Underhammers are rare, especially at that price. :hatsoff:

Don

Have had several of these over the years and still run into them once in a while. Rare or collectible ???? IMHO $200 is a steep price.
Mark

I don't believe anyone is still making production underhammer guns, at least I'm not aware of any. There are some custom makers but they want custom money for theirs. I see H&A underhammers on the auction sites but folks are asking more for them than they did just a few years ago. $200 isn't a steal but better than some of the prices I've seen.

Don

As long as the bore is good, she should be a great shooter. From the looks, 200 may be a bit steep but not much. Is the maker Palmetto?

Lizardo,
Of the dozen, or more, H&A's that I have had I don't remember ever seeing anything about Palmetto. Until the more recent Deer Creek or Blue Grouse, they were all marketed by Numrich Arms but I don't know who made them. I just checked the four that I currently have and there is no "maker" on them.
Mark

200.00 is a good price. I' ve seen them sell for 300.00 to 325.00 at gun shows & auction sites. There is only one guy that I know of who makes underhammer pistols, he sells kits on the gb site. It seems like some folks are still stuck in the 1970's. They fail to understand the concept that prices do go up over time.

Talon,
I do realize that prices have gone up, considerably. Consider also that the H&A started out life at $39.95.There still aren't $50-75 worth of parts in the whole gun. I recently had an UH pistol built that is far and above the H&A and the cost was under $150, including shipping. The H&A pistol is a good sound basic pistol that if maintained will shoot well. It just isn't a $200 pistol, IMHO.
Mark

Mark

Papa said:
Talon,
I do realize that prices have gone up, considerably. Consider also that the H&A started out life at $39.95.There still aren't $50-75 worth of parts in the whole gun. I recently had an UH pistol built that is far and above the H&A and the cost was under $150, including shipping. The H&A pistol is a good sound basic pistol that if maintained will shoot well. It just isn't a $200 pistol, IMHO. Mark

You are right about costs Papa. They just keep goin' up. :cursing: Actually, I remember the H&A Boot Pistol being advertized in the American Rifleman magazine back in the early 60s for $29.50 or $29.95, and as I recall that included a tin of caps, some balls, and even a quarter-pound of powder!

Why do I feel old all of a sudden? :redface:

Times they do change, don't they?

I don't know where you are getting your parts, but the last underhammer I built cost $65.00 for the barrel,$13.95 for the hammer, $13.95 for the trigger, $10.00 for the main spring $10.00 for the hammer and trigger pins plus $10.00 for shipping and that don't count the cost of the bar I used for the action,the steel plate for the grip frame, the sights or the wood for the grips.
Plus it took me about 65 hours!

DSC00854.jpg

Any-way It's worth $200.00 to me!

SC45-70

Thank you

The one pictured is the 3rd Pistol rifle I've built. It's a 54 caliber I built for hunting.

SC45-70

I was considering one I found in a gun shop in Virginia back in the 90's. It was a kit and the bore was horrible. It was made by Palmetto and marked as 'Heritage' same as the H&A's sold by Numrich. Now, I have read an article that stated, once the bore was lapped, they were fine shooters.

Lizardo,
Who knows, it may still be there, it has only been 20 years. Hell, my wife is still here after 46 years. :rotf:
Mark

Looks like the rear sight was changed,.50 cal, never seen a H&A in 50. I have a .36 and a .45.
Cut my teeth on a 36.
Nit Wit

Back