• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Guyer Over/Under Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have owned this rifle for 6 years now. A friend had bought it off the net a few years before that and had then decided to take it to a muzzleloading gun show to be sold in order to finance another purchace. He stopped by my place to pick up a rifle that I was also wanting to sell, and in the process, I traded him out of this gun :grin:

I had already handled this gun multiple times so I knew it fairly well. I figured it should just have a good home right here at my place.

It was built by James P. Guyer of Muncy PA. I have seen several of his guns for sale on different web sites. Several of them were doubles similar to this one while others were single barrel full and half stocked guns sans any ornamentation.

It is just kind of neat to have around to look at once in a while and strike up a conversation over it when good friends stop by for a visit.

The following pics can tell most of the story about the gun but I will add in this info.

barrel length -38"
length of pull -12 1/4"
weight -10.6 pounds
top barrel -.370 rifled bore
bottom barrel -.510 smooth bore

Both barrels are tapered from breech to muzzle and a spacer was added between the barrels at the muzzles which off sets the the verticle alignment between the two. The spacer can be seen in the last pic (the shiney sliver running from the metal muzzle cap back to the front sight).

In all, a neat gun and I hope you enjoy the pics.

SANY0024.jpg

SANY0027.jpg

SANY0028.jpg

SANY0030.jpg

SANY0031.jpg

SANY0032.jpg

SANY0033.jpg

SANY0034.jpg

SANY0036.jpg

SANY0038.jpg

Very nice combo gun. It reminds me of the muzzleloader that Paints His Shirt Red was carrying when he watched Jeremiah Johnson fishing in the movie.....................watch yer top knot...............

There was a half-stock like that, only looked like it was made for a child, at auction here recently. Don't know what it went for.

I recently had the chance to handle a very similar Guyer rifle. As with yours, I like the way the ramrods tuck in behind the flat piece at the muzzle, holds them intact.

Your rifle appears to be in very nice shape. Thanks for the pictures.

Ya Buford!! I remember that. I have paused that movie several times on that scene to check out that gun.

Swampy, you are right on taking it hunting one time.

rf50cal, it is in nice shape. Even the threads on the nipples and drums are good.

Mike, for the life of me, I can not remember what my friend gave for this gun. I got it for a very reasonable cost in the trade with him.

Wattlebuster, I have another one in .36 for both barrels. It is quite similar and also built in PA. by W.M.Cullough. I shoot it on ocassion but have not shot this one much. My friend shot it quite a few times. I will take some pics of the other one and post them up for you to check out in the near future.

Nothing really to add to what the others have already said except that I like it a lot! Very interesting firearm. Thanks for sharing. :hatsoff:

scobrien,
Very nice :thumbsup:
Check out " Longrifles of Pennsylvania:
Jefferson, Clarion & Elk Counties ", by Russ Harriger for some great info on William McCullough and other period makers of similar rifles in this area of Pennsylvania...would really like to see the pics of your other rifle!
Shreck

Wow Flaydermaus, thanks for the tip :bow:

I will take some of the other rifle and get them posted soon :thumbsup:

Here are some pics of the Cullough rifle. Both barrels are 36 cal. and the bores are in very good shape. She is trimmed in silver and both locks are engraved similar to the Guyer rifle. Overall condition wise, the Cullough is the better of the two. I shoot this one periodically.

SANY0078.jpg

SANY0081.jpg

SANY0082.jpg

SANY0079.jpg

SANY0080.jpg

SANY0083.jpg

SANY0093.jpg

scobrien,
Lovely :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I just sent you a PM, and s you maybe can see in those pics, the makers stamp may have been worn or broken, but his name is actually
William McCullough...he just continued to use the stamp I guess :idunno:
Great looking rifle... :applause:
Shreck

scobrien,
Guess the PM failed...bounced back :(
Also, Photobucket is being uncooperative here :cursing:
Anyway, great rifles...nice pics...and, the cheekpiece inlay with the center hole is called a " Brookville Eye ", first used by McCullough, and adopted by many other gunmakers in the area.
Shreck

Excellent :applause: . Thanks for the added info.

The "Brookville Eye" - most interesting

I have to wonder if the comb plate was a common feature on his guns. You can also see the steel insert he added to the upper point of the butt plate in this pic.

SANY0080.jpg

Rather than a flat top on the rear sight, mine has two rounded lobes with a fine v-notch filed between them. When you sight down the barrel, the sight looks like a silhouette the back of Micky Mouse's head with his two big ears sticking up :grin: . You can kind of make it out in this same pic.

Sorry, did not think of this until after my last post. Here are a couple of cropped pics that show the insert and sight better. Also a closeup of the Brookville Eye.

SANY0080-Copy2.jpg

SANY0080-Copy.jpg

SANY0082-Copy.jpg

Back