• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a set of screwdrivers that the vendor said were made up especially by Grace for the Pietta/Uberti revolvers. (Apparently, they were sent some screws as samples to work from.) I have no idea if the story is true, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well they fit the screws in my flintlock pistol project.

They do seem well-made. I used to do some watch repair, and quickly learned the value of a properly fitting screwdriver!

Fred

It just dawned on me that I forgot to mention at least one good set of jeweler's screwdrivers. I actually wound up buying two and I have used every one in both boxes over the years. I think the only time I used them on guns was for clean out screws on Navy Arms UnCivil War Smith Carbine repro's.

However, I have used them many, MANY times to tighten or replace screws in my own eyeglasses as well as for others, and to replace tiny screws in shooting glasses and other uses. I also purchased a couple sets of "eyeglass repair screws" that did not cost much. Then I asked an Optometrist if I could buy a few each of the most common tiny screws for eyeglasses. I keep them in my traveling tool chest and have dipped into those screws on quite a few occasions over the years.

Gus

Even though I keep a changable tip screwdriver in the shooting box for modern guns, I usually use screwdrivers I have shaped myself. I'll pick up old screwdrivers at flea markets, pawn shops, etc. If I need a speciality size I'll go to the grinder. I also will heat and hammer them into speciality picks and scrapers. Usually good steel and cheap.

A potential problem with making screwdrivers, and I have made many, is getting the temper right.

IF you just grind them to shape they will be too soft. If you harden and then draw them by eye, it is luck to get it right.

Too hard and the blade breaks possibly gouging the gun. Too soft and the blade bends messing up the screw slot.

For drawing objects of varying thicknesses, like screwdrivers and springs a lead bath is probably the easiest way. IT gets to be a lot of work.

Better to buy a big set of known good screw driver bits, IMHO.

Back