• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunsmithing Screwdriver Set?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSK

Smollett
Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent set of screw-drivers that would work with my muzzeloaders. Most of the sets I've seen also have Torx, Hex and Phillips-head bits, none of which belong on a traditional muzzleloader. So, any recommendations for a decent hollow-ground set of slotted drivers? I like the Brownells Magna-Tip series but wouldn't know what to pick.

Thanks

All bull aside any set that has hollow ground flat bit's will fit your needs, Sears, Cabelas, Sportsmens Warehouse, Scheels,
Avoid the cheap harbor freight, Chinese 9.99 sets, but you don't need to spend 50.
Just because a set has more then you need doesn't mean what you need isn't good.

The biggest deal is actually selecting the bit that fit's the screw.

I still have the handle and most bits from the Brownells set I bought decades ago.

A dremel works good if you need to grind a wide blade thinner to get a proper fit for a wide thin screw slot. Just maintain the hollow ground aspect of the blade.

I've mentioned before that I bought my magna set of Brownells' screwdrivers almost 30 years ago, and over the years I broke more than a few, mostly from working on my kitchen table late at night in my younger days.
A cpl years ago I decided to replace the ones I had broken and I called Brownells with a list of bits to buy. The nice woman on the other end told me the bits are guaranteed for life, and to tell her which I needed.
I did and a few days later a package arrived with replacement bits, free, gratis, no charge.
So guess what brand of screwdrivers I'll recommend.... :hmm:

Eterry

Lots of good advice above.

Agree with Maven on the Chapman screwdriver set. Have had a small set for at least 30 + years. Really like the ratchet handle which attaches to the bits or the extension when more power is needed for stubborn screws.

Bought extra individual bits for the Chapman set at gun shows over the years.

I bought a Chapman set about 35 years back and am still using it. Its been to reenactments, rendezvous and matches and works for almost all the screws I have encountered. I have a nice Brownell's set but the Chapman is the one I always go to first. I was just using it on an Enfield Mk 4 #1/2 a few hours ago. A real compact set for the shooting box.

I was issued a set of solid Grace Screwdrivers in my initial tool box issue for gunsmithing in the Corps in '73. They are nice but rarely if ever fit the screw slots of most guns. So I don't recommend them.

In the 70's and early 80's, I reshaped a whole bunch of original 19th century small wood handled turnscrews to fit the screws on Civil War era locks and guns I worked on. That's nice for authenticity, but a LOT Of work one no longer needs to do.

I got my first set of Brownell Magna Tip Screwdrivers in the early 80's and have upgraded it a few times to the Master Set, as the upgrades became available along with the super thin bit set. Those thin bits have come in extremely handy when working on original and European locks. I almost never have to custom grind a screwdriver/turnscrew anymore.

Brownell's Magna Tip Starter sets with 22 bits are good, but if one is going to get into gunsmithing, I strongly suggest one bites the bullet and buys the 44 bit Professional Set. Then add the thin bit set as you need to or can afford it.

I have also found the extra bits in the Master set VERY useful for modern guns with allen head screws, but you don't need them for muzzle loading guns.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...a-tip-sets/magna-tip-super-sets--prod417.aspx

thin bits; http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...it-sets/magna-tip-thin-bit-set-prod44342.aspx

Oh, I have also found it very handy to have at least one extra, regular handle and one slightly shorter law enforcement handle. I have never bought the stubby handle and see no reason to do so.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...ip-super-set-screwdriver-handles-prod400.aspx

Gus

Edited to add; Oh, a P.S. MOST of the time I have to custom grind a screwdriver today, I can take one of magna tip bits to do it, so I don't have to have a whole screwdriver in an unusual size. Then I just order a replacement bit for the one I used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screwdrivers are a phobia of mine because of my loathing for "buggered slots"

Have a total of approx. 50 screwdrivers which have been acquired through the years...some are quality items and some are cheap.....the requirement being that they're hard enough. 40% have been ground to fit various slot widths and shapes and it seems one of these screwdrivers always fits the slot.

When looking at hand tools, I was always on the "lookout" for cheap, wooden handled SDs and have bought quite a few good ones that way.

The SD tips are hollow ground on 6"-8" wheels. but some are ground to a wedge to fit "old time" slotted screws that I formerly used on my first dozen or so builds. A slotting file was used for this type of slot. I no longer modify screw heads due to the time involved, but still do "Kasinit" all the screw heads......Fred

That is just what I have done Gus! I got a whole set of drivers when I took my Gunsmithing courses back in the early 80's but seldom use them any more as the Brownell's drivers have taken over.
I use the thin bit set on shotgun work quite often and bought the round stone they sell for grinding any specially bits needed.
I also have their Allen bit set.

Like several others, I am still using the Brownells set that I bought decades ago. Buggered up screws are a horrible thing to see on any gun.

It's nice to know that they have a special stone for the insert type bits. I have been using the sanding drum from the dremel set.
When I was a National Cash Register apprentice many, many years ago we were taught how to grind hollow grind screwdrivers as parts of our initial training.

I have a set of Brownells that I bought years ago. Lately I just go to my hardware store and pick up loose bits, then grind them to fit with a 3 inch wheel that goes in my drill. Haven't found a screw that I don't have a bit to fit lately.

Flea market screw drivers reground to fit the screws.

Get one of the little 2 or 3" diameter grinding wheels that will mount in your drill press (or drill held in a vise) and hollow grind the cheap screw drivers to fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back