• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett rifle questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😂 The best approach to that is to go to YouTube and search for "Crockett rifle". There are a number of videos on it. Here's one with some nice pictures in it. Although that one was build from a kit, it looks identical to mine that I ordered from Midway. As you'll see, it really is quite a "precious"-looking little gun.

Hey! Robert Campbell, the Overmountain Man credited with actually shooting British commander Maj. Patrick Ferguson off his horse at King's Mountain, when ordered to take the shot, is documented as prefacing his shot with the comment, "Let's see what Sweet Lips can do..." If one of those ornery, wiry, "accustomed to privation" frontier riflemen can call his weapon that, feel free to call a cute gun a cute gun!
(He used the same nickname for his wife, BTW...!)

The Chapman set is great. However, I already have the Winchester set (which is, I would say, okay). In general I don't care for screwdriver sets that consist of a handle and replaceable tips. Maybe just a matter of taste, or maybe just old school, but I feel a bit more confident working with a 1-piece screwdriver, and at times the replaceable tip ones are hard to get into certain places. So I tend to buy more on an as-needed basis. As a consequence, I have several of the Grace screwdrivers (got them from Brownells). Should probably collect some more of them. Last year I lost one of my old Craftsman hardened steel hex shank Phillips screwdriver I'd had for about 35 years and replaced it with a German (Felo) one that cost about $15. My son thought it was outrageous to spend that much on a screwdriver, but it's an awfully good screwdriver!! And a low quality Phillips screwdriver is the road to blithering insanity.

I just got one of the little Traditions Crockett rifles from Midway and have been looking it over and cleaning it up prior to shooting for the first time. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Removing the barrel for cleaning requires removing the screw in the tang -- not the best idea in the world, but ... The (machine) screw has a slotted head -- maybe "period appropriate", but not the best idea in the world. Does anyone know of where to easily get a screw that would replace the original, but with something like either a hex, square, or Torx head on it?
2. The front ramrod keeper/bracket/whatever is loose. I haven't taken it apart to see what the story is. I'm hoping it's held on by a screw that just needs tightening. Any insight on that?.
3. The bore seems pretty tight -- just on the basis of cleaning with some patches and Ballistol. It also seems hideously rusty. This is the first new BP gun I've had, but I sort of expected the barrel to be clean and oiled -- or something like that. Moreover, the barrel seems tighter nearer the muzzle. As I pull the rod and patch out, I can feel a definite increase in resistance starting about 10" from the muzzle. Comments?

Otherwise, this gun is really cute (I don't normally use that word, but I think it fits here), and I'm looking forward to shooting it.
I will comment on #3. I have one of those and it is a joy to shoot. Small projectiles and a little powder and it is way more economic to play with than my .50 plains rifle or Kentucky flinter. I use a 0.010 oxoyoke lubed patch with a .311 rb with 20gr of 3f or pyro-p and get really good accuracy. I consider it to be a early to mid 18th century .22. Great small bore ML.

Yeah, that's how I'm thinking of it -- with some challenge to shoot targets at 100 yds. But that's part of the fun. Always takes time to work up loads and components.

All my apparent bore problems seem to have disappeared with use of the degreaser and taking a little diameter off the cleaning jag. There's some variation in bore diameter in these guns and accessories. I had to take some diameter off one of my jags for the GPR as well. And my CZ 455 turns out to be almost a .21 instead of a .22 -- which in part contributes to its amazing (Anschutz-like) accuracy, but means I can't use a .22 cleaning rod on it. Details, details ...

I just got one of the little Traditions Crockett rifles from Midway and have been looking it over and cleaning it up prior to shooting for the first time. Here are a few questions I have:

1. Removing the barrel for cleaning requires removing the screw in the tang -- not the best idea in the world, but ... The (machine) screw has a slotted head -- maybe "period appropriate", but not the best idea in the world. Does anyone know of where to easily get a screw that would replace the original, but with something like either a hex, square, or Torx head on it?
2. The front ramrod keeper/bracket/whatever is loose. I haven't taken it apart to see what the story is. I'm hoping it's held on by a screw that just needs tightening. Any insight on that?.
3. The bore seems pretty tight -- just on the basis of cleaning with some patches and Ballistol. It also seems hideously rusty. This is the first new BP gun I've had, but I sort of expected the barrel to be clean and oiled -- or something like that. Moreover, the barrel seems tighter nearer the muzzle. As I pull the rod and patch out, I can feel a definite increase in resistance starting about 10" from the muzzle. Comments?

Otherwise, this gun is really cute (I don't normally use that word, but I think it fits here), and I'm looking forward to shooting it.
Im probably repeating everyone else, but.....
#2 that rail is held on with screws. I suggest locktite blue. #3 just the manure they put into the bore for storage. I shoot mine with a .311 ball with a .010 pre lubed patch over 20gr of 3f. I love mine. It didn't take long to get to know it and it's a tack driver. Also very economical to shoot. I referr to it as my early 19th century .22. Like most of these guns the ramrod leaves much to be desired. I replaced mine with one made by Track of the Wolf.

Back