• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunpowder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eutycus

Cannon
Reaction score
We are discussing Western Movies on another forum. Two of the John Wayne/ Dean Martin movies were mentioned. In "Rio Bravo" thrown dynamite is detonated by shooting it. That can't happen, it takes blasting caps. In the movie "The Sons of Katie Elder" a can of gunpowder is set off by a gunshot from John Wayne. Could that have happened?

We are discussing Western Movies on another forum. Two of the John Wayne/ Dean Martin movies were mentioned. In "Rio Bravo" thrown dynamite is detonated by shooting it. That can't happen, it takes blasting caps. In the movie "The Sons of Katie Elder" a can of gunpowder is set off by a gunshot from John Wayne. Could that have happened?
Dynamite can indeed be set off by gunshots. Even some modern explosives can be. It all depends on the initial amount of energy it takes to set it off.

As for the can of powder, it depends on the heat generated from the bullet's friction/compression.

Dynamite can indeed be set off by gunshots. Even some modern explosives can be. It all depends on the initial amount of energy it takes to set it off.

As for the can of powder, it depends on the heat generated from the bullet's friction/compression.
I was under the impression it took a blasting cap to "set off" dynamite. Is it the heat from the bullet that does it or the actual impact?

I've seen slo-mo videos of small explosions and what appears to be a spark with bullets striking Balistic gelatin. Maybe it has something to do with the same principles? Not sure if all lead muzzleloader bullets could produce such phenomena since it says it's due to the rapid expansion of the bullet but is interesting none the less.

hackaday.com/2016/10/13/watch-the-diesel-effect-in-ballistic-gelatin/#:~:text=After the expanded bullet exits,flash followed by some exhaust.

Again with authenticity, when was Nobel's invention of Dynamite? Those aren't powder sticks that Eastwood is using in some of his movies.

Last edited:
I was under the impression it took a blasting cap to "set off" dynamite. Is it the heat from the bullet that does it or the actual impact?
If the dynamite is improperly stored it can sweat nitroglycerin, which is an extremely dangerous and unstable explosive that can be set off upon impact.

Adam Savage did a test on it with just smacking a puddle of it with a hammer:

Okay that was pure nitro . The original question asked if a stick of dynamite would explode if hit with a bullet.

Okay that was pure nitro . The original question asked if a stick of dynamite would explode if hit with a bullet.
I don't know about dynamite in general, but when I was a young boy, my dad and uncle was very concerned a few sticks had what they called "sweat". They said it was very sensitive and made me get the hell out of Dodge. The lot was later detonated safely.

What about propane? What if you shot one of those small propane bottles used in a camp stove?
You will puncture the tank. It won't ignite without a flame or spark nearby.

The real fun starts when you toss one in a campfire. The safety valve is designed to vent the tank, but if the vessel fails, you get what is known as a BLEVE. Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. It doesn't really "explode", but the results are similar.

So dynamite and TNT are two different things, but information about TNT tends to be confused with dynamite. Original dynamite was 40%-60% nitroglycerine, combined with diatomaceous earth. What this did was to drastically reduce the chance that the nitro would explode while handling. Reduce..., but not eliminate...

BUT..., original dynamite (invented in 1866) has about a 1 year shelf life. It must be kept cool (which is why you see movies where folks boil it to extract the nitro) and it must be rotated often to keep the nitro from seeping out of the sticks due to gravity. Even when properly handled, a slug from a Winchester could very well set the stuff off.

Now out West, the stuff probably took a while to arrive at a frontier destination, and then if it was stored too long, even with proper handling, its level of stability would degrade. Eventually, original dynamite would be difficult to prevent it from going off by accident.

TNT is used by the US Military and not dynamite, because it's more stable than dynamite, and does need a good initiator to set it off.

LD

Back