• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gunflints from a shipwreck in Aberdeen?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameling

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello the camp,

I have heard tales of gray English gunflints being offered for sale, that came from a shipwreck in the port of Aberdeen, Scotland. These are supposed to be from around the early 1800's, and were used as ballast in the ship that sank. So they were never salvaged when it went down - not worth it at the time. There is supposed to be a guy diving the sight where the wreck was and picking up the gunflints. I was told that this was written up in Muzzleloader magazine in their Prime Possibles section, somewhere around the Spring of 2004. Well, I can't locate my back issues from then (probably still out on loan), so I haven't found the info.

Does anyone know about these? If you do, can you let me know the details? I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike

p.s. Yes, already I know about the large combined orders for new gunflints from Tom Fuller posted elsewhere.

I don't know if these are "shipwreck" salvage, or what. However they're the only (purportedly) genuine Napoleonic era flints I've seen around lately -http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/590?osCsid=7753e6a9e3e7b5791c2e76621022b934

If that link doesn't work, just go to the ima-usa site and type "flint" into their search box (worked for me). It's very cool from the historic perspective, but they're pretty pricey for shootin'.

I bought a few of these from Dixie a few years back, don't know if they are the same ones or not. the ship was the "Earl of Abergavenny". Approximate spelling, BTW.

They are HUGE! Looks like you could use them for a small tomahawk. 1 1/8" wide.

I think the flints that IMA (see website above)is selling are original Brown Bess Musket flints from around 1800. I understand they are English flint. However, they do not come from a shipwreck but are from the British Arms cache in Nepal that IMA bought. Reportedly there were lots of musket balls and flints in the stash (along with Martini-Henry rifles of which I bought one).

I have also seen the shipwreck flints for sale on ebay. They are almost always being listed. Also there are other original flints which have been dug elsewhere. I believe someone has been selling flints from a fort site in Florida--probably date from the Seminole Wars.

Thanks, guys, for the info and tips. Now to let this "infernal machine" do its stuff in my quest.

Thanks
Mike

Back