• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Stock Shapes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
We are always used to the standard shape of a gun or rifle stock shape but there is also stock shapes that do not look like the usual ones but there are stocks which are designed for a purpose I have enclosed image of two which
Are purpose made .
Image number 1 is a percussion walking stick gun
Image number two is a percussion coach gun with a detachable stock and barrel
Image number three is a tradition Spanish Catalan gun
Feltwad
P1010012.JPG
P1010014.JPG
P1010001.JPG
100_3898.JPG
100_3908.JPG

I have never been kicked by a mile but I have been launched into the air by a ram.

Dad said "don't turn you back to him" as I turned to face Dad as he began to speak. Ka pow - airborn.

I have never been kicked by a mile but I have been launched into the air by a ram.

Dad said "don't turn you back to him" as I turned to face Dad as he began to speak. Ka pow - airborn.
Which reminds me....why would a ram in the butt be called goose....?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ingenious designs. Thanks for sharing these, Feltwad. Are they on your FAC?
These are classed has antiques and not on FAC or SGC they are collectors items but if they were wanted to use them then they must be entered of a SGC
Feltwad

Initially the one coach gun looked pretty barrel-heavy and unwieldy but that probably helped with thte kick.
The collapsible coach gun is amazing. I've not seen or heard of a two-piece damascus barrel before, but it makkes sense for the use.
Thank you for posting the pictures.

Initially the one coach gun looked pretty barrel-heavy and unwieldy but that probably helped with thte kick.
The collapsible coach gun is amazing. I've not seen or heard of a two-piece damascus barrel before, but it makkes sense for the use.
Thank you for posting the pictures.
Sir the one you mentioned has a heavy coach gun is not a coach gun but a Spanish Catalan sporting gun in 10 bore I added it too the thread for the shape of the stock enclosed is a image of the barrel inlay work
100_3904.JPG

Feltwad

Sir the one you mentioned has a heavy coach gun is not a coach gun but a Spanish Catalan sporting gun in 10 bore I added it too the thread for the shape of the stock enclosed is a image of the barrel inlay workView attachment 71475
Feltwad

I was a bit hasty in reading your post, and in my reply.
That is one beautiful bit of inlay. I'm only beginning to learn about the Spanish style locks and arms.
My attention was caught by the coach gun. My hasty reply linked the two, to my chagrin.

Stock shapes I find fascinating each region of the world seemed to develop their own styles often over a long period . If some countrys seem to stay with very little varience such as Indian sub continent . Most seem to us rational enough & compare to our idea of norms while many seem positively weird to our modern eyes they must presumably have suited the original users .Currently I am making another petronel their stock shapes being more like a hockey stick with a barrel inletted being so made to be fired with the butt held against the chest with one old account saying "Few or non could abide their recoil" no note of thick Buff coat or breast plate which would perhaps help but so far I'me finding this plan to be awkward at best but they made them so I will persevere most being seemingly matchlock but snaphance are noted military ones are listed as barrel 2 foot 6'' & 3 foot overall the bore about 24 bore from an account of 1630 the same dimensions as a carbine just curious if there are other members so interested in such pieces .
Rudyard

Back