• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Safe Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rod L said:
Roundball, I've got the big Cannon just like yours. Really nice safe, the only trouble is that it's already full :grin:
Rod
Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how I look at it, mine isn't too crowded because I had to sell off so many accumulated rifles & shotguns to afford having my longguns built, LOL. Yes, very roomy, particularly with all the partitions removed...reminds me of a clothes closet. And a nice thing I like about the roominess is that everything is in it's own clean padded gun case and never gets a nick or bump going in and out of the safe...

Good info, but before we get too worried, there are a couple of points here.

Most of those things aren't safes. The term safe has been bastardized by marketers to impress the uninformed public. Most are strongboxes at best, not much different than those that were carried by the stagecoach lines in the 1800's. The biggest difference is the hasp and padlock has been replaced by an internal locking mechanism. Even those that look like safes with a dial or electronic combinatin lock are pretty useless. A cheap safe is just that.

Most of them were designed to keep kids or smash and grab guys out. While it's true that the little guy in the photo was able to overcome it by a simple bump, he was coached. Bolt the safe to a shelf and put it out of reach and your kid won't gain access.

I keep a small box with a cable in my truck to secure my carry gun when needed. It uses a medco lock. Yes, a guy with a cable cutter or some basic tools could get the gun. Odds are, he doesn't have them with him. Additionally, he probably doesn't want to spend a lot of time there next to my truck. This box was designed to stop a smash and grab from getting my gun.

It is also pretty much accepted that even a good safe or vault only works the first time. Once a bad guy knows it's there, he may be curious enough to return with friends and tools. Given enough time and desire, he'll get in.

So, why have one? Because it'll stop the opportunistic criminal in his tracks.

"This guy has an alarm/gun/big dog/safe (pick one or all!) so I may as well go next door."

While those videos look pretty damning, don't paint all with the same brush. Do some research when it comes to manufacturer. This is one of the reasons I stated in an earlier post that I'm not keen on Sentry.

I always try to remember that if someone really wants something, they will get it. All you can do is make it easier for them to go somewhere else.

I was laughing at Tinker2's post on a cheap safe, completely filled with concrete and his guns were stored in an entirely different location. He was setting up a fake safe. I think you misread, my response to Tinker2.

Hope, you have a nice St. Patrick's Day. My family is from County Kerry, Ireland.

Thanks for all the advice. I bought a Liberty Colonial 23 today. My flintlock fits and it has room for all my other guns. It should be delivered in about a week.

Back