• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun Safe Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf19451

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 50 Cal. Flintlock which is 58" in length and is too long for my Gun Safe. I was thinking of getting a new safe anyway, although I would rather not, and was wondering if any of you had any recommendations. Thanks.

One of the best safe's I ever bought was a Liberty "Franklin 25" tall enough for a long rifle. I kick myself every time For selling it :slap: .

I have two safes for most of my guns, but long rifle wouldn't fit. I made a safe/cabinet out of 3/4 plywood, with reinforced steel in the areas, where needed, and used large heavy duty hasp and pad locks. Used large carriage bolts, with heads below the wood surface. Lag bolted to wall. Keeps kids out, and slows down thieves. I only have two long rifles, and several shorter black powder rifles. Probably not the best protection, but low cost security, that I have a lot of confidence in.

For maximum security, add air holes along the bottom of the door, with pieces of straw, hanging out, and a sign that reads: "Beware of Snakes"

I'm in the same boat. I have two safes, a 12-gun Liberty and a 24-Gun Winchester. Neither is tall enough to house a longrifle. I really don't have the room to have a single large 36-40 safe, which it seems are where the tall safes start.

What I'd like to do is pick up something about the same footprint as my Liberty, just taller.

I poked around and found this one from Sentry.
http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/314/G1464C_Gun_Safe

It's 64" high, so you gain about 4-5" more than a standard safe. Problems:

It doesn't say it's fire rated, which is as important to me as security.

It doesn't say if it has relockers.

It's a Sentry. Maybe nothing wrong with that, but they strike me as being the walmart of home security.

Anyway, maybe it'll work for you. I'm going to keep looking around and will hopefully find something.

I guess the other question is, how do you folks store your longrifles/muskets/fowlers etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got ahold of a locker like you find in High School (about 72" tall - got it at one of those recycle places that buy stuff from demolished buildings).

It's not fire rated but it was easily tall enough for my longer rifles (61").

For me it's just about the "safe storage" here in Canada - either locked in a "cabinet/safe/vault" or must have a trigger lock on at all times.

The metal it is built out of is pretty much in line with the (Stack-On) gun safe I have for my CF stuff.

I don't know what the actual odds are, but chances of a fire vs. thief. Way more likely to be robbed. So, a locker, work site box, even a wooden cabinet, is better than nothing. I built a cabinet out of 3/4 plywood, inside has steel tubing and metal strips, for reinforcement. Huge heavy duty hasp and locks. Lag bolted to wall. I know a determined thief with plenty of time can get in it. But, they will need time, might be surprised when they run into all that steel.

galamb said:
I got ahold of a locker like you find in High School (about 72" tall - got it at one of those recycle places that buy stuff from demolished buildings).

For me it's just about the "safe storage" here in Canada - either locked in a "cabinet/safe/vault" or must have a trigger lock on at all times.

The metal it is built out of is pretty much in line with the (Stack-On) gun safe I have for my CF stuff.

I use the same type surplus locker - have two, bolted to the wall. One has fishing gear & the padlock is left open. The other has longrifles & the padlock is locked. Doesn't scream "guns" & hopefully any thieves will be in more of a grab & go mode rather than taking the time to tear open the 2nd "fishing gear" locker.

My safe is a discontinued Grizzly model. It will not accept my Brown Bess which is now hanging on the wall above a door. Stealable but would require a step stool and some work.
There is a Youtube video by a Fort Knox dealer that is an excellent tutorial on safes. The variety of safes available is amazing. All you need is lots of money. :shocked2:

Coot said:
galamb said:

I use the same type surplus locker - have two, bolted to the wall. One has fishing gear & the padlock is left open. The other has longrifles & the padlock is locked. Doesn't scream "guns" & hopefully any thieves will be in more of a grab & go mode rather than taking the time to tear open the 2nd "fishing gear" locker.

I also use a locker. I have a safe but not enough room for everything. Some are in the safe and what won't fit are in a locker and even else where.

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I'd be comfortable with a locker or homemade cabinet.

I'm considering a custom-built gun from a well-known local. If I go this route, it will be the most expensive gun I own, exceeding my Colt Gold Cup by well more than $1,000. It just wouldn't seem right to keep it in something less secure, when my $79 Mosin-Nagants are housed in a safe!

No doubt about it, the best safe you can buy is the way to go. But, as long as they are at least locked up, it's better than nothing.

jf19451 said:
I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations.

I have a cheap safe, bolted it to the wall and floor, filled it full of concrete, and stashed my guns elsewhere.

William Alexander

That's better than my wooden cabinet with air holes and straw hanging out and sign that reads,"Danger Snakes".

I can picture a couple "Duds" working on the safe with concrete..........that's a good one.

My wife and I liked your, “Danger Snakes"
I may incorporate that somehow.

Thanks
William Alexander

Amsec uses concrete fire liner in some safes.
The are extra heavy as a result.
Expensive? Maybe, but replacing a custom long rifle or family heirloom seems much more so.
Cheers,
Irish

Just saw this thread and see the purchase has already been made...but for the possible future interest of others, I'll post this anyway just as another choice.
I went with a good sized Cannon safe (TS7240) on a Christmas sale marked down from $1500 to $1200. Big 2'x4'x6' with a built-in electrical outlet to allow Golden Rod heaters to be installed.
700lbs empty, strongly anchored to the concrete floor, I use it with all the partitions removed, just standing my guns on end in their cases. Full height side shelves added on the right side (not in photo) to hold various handguns.
2nd photo shows a 62” ML in its case, with a shelf positioned above it.
IMO, given enough time any safe can be broken into...what I wanted to prevent was the quick snatch & run petty thief break into the house from getting them and no question this safe gets that done.

Google, Open gun safes with straws and paper clips before you by one.

William Alexander

Roundball, I've got the big Cannon just like yours. Really nice safe, the only trouble is that it's already full :grin:

Rod

Back