• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Gun in Alamo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will update with pictures. We are awaiting papers we have to let attorney look at and sign and then schedule a day for us to head to San Antonio to pick it. Hoping to have it in my hands sometime in May. I am curious what the worth of this piece will be, as I’ll be getting it insured.

Any ideas on the worth of a musket like this? I won’t be able to post pictures until I receive it. The Alamo deemed it in “Good” condition out of the categories poor fair good or excellent. I am not aware of any story tagging along with it besides it was showcased at the Alamo for 40 years. But it has been verified an original 2nd model Brown Bess with bayonet stamped Dublin castle.

Update. My dad wrote a clause in the contract stating if the gun is removed from display it is to be returned to him or his heirs. So, after much discussion and waiting for their lawyer, they officially said the rifle is ours and is scheduling a time for us to come get it! So incredible! It is verified to not be a reproduction. A model 2 Brown Bess marked Dublin with bayonet. I believe they discontinued these in 1770? Also a G.W. Geiger powder horn brought from Pennsylvania in 1800 I believe. Some original French amber flints approximately 200 years old, found in an old French flint factory.
Good for you!

Big question??
Was the gun in the battle of the Alamo, found there in the aftermath, documented as such?
or
Was the gun just displayed at the museum after donation?

Price value will be vastly different IMHO

As of now the only history I know of it is it was displayed at the Alamo and verified as an original and not a reproduction

In that case with no historical other than being displayed, you need the gun in hand to evaluate. Your insurance company is going to want a professional appraisal of it's monetary value not just a look up in a book or internet page value.

I would get it appraised by one of the Large gun auctioneers. It may cost money for that also

If he donated it to the museum, then there is no recourse because the ownership or title was legally transferred at that time to the museum or foundation or trust or whatever, and they were (and are) entitled to dispose of it as they see fit. Maybe they would give it to you, but I doubt it. They aren't required to display it or anything like that. In fact they may have sold it to raise cash. This happens more than one might think, because museums always need money.
Many times they will sell a display to raise more money. I think I saw one at auction from the Alamo, for just that purpose: to raise additional funds.

I should be receiving all the legal forms to sign today and then I’ll be heading to San Antone to receive it from the Alamo. Any tips or advice on caring for a gun 200+ years old? Product recommendations?

I should be receiving all the legal forms to sign today and then I’ll be heading to San Antone to receive it from the Alamo. Any tips or advice on caring for a gun 200+ years old? Product recommendations?
Treat it with kid gloves when you get it.
If the stock hasn't been treated with oil for a long time, the wood will be dry and very easy to damage and if you do "ding" it, the wood fibers will break instead of bend.

If the fibers bend, the dent can be steamed out. If the fibers are broken, steaming won't do much to bring the damage back to its original shape.

I would suggest contacting places that handle this sort of thing regularly. The Smithsonian, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Tower of London, the Vatican, Musee` d'Armee, and the Louvre are such places that come to mind. Try to get guidance from their head curators. They get their advice from real scientists and professionals as to what is the BEST way to do it, not just the most practical. Taking advice from places like an Internet forum is very risky. They may suggest a UV protected low light and oxygen-free display. Practical? No. Inexpensive? No. But it MAY be the BEST. It'll be up to you to decide on the economies of it. In any event, at a minimum it won't hurt to wear gloves when you handle it.

As far as any restoration goes, you may even wish to see if you can contract with those places (such as above) to do any work you wish to have done. I personally wouldn't trust myself to do it properly with a hobbiest's knowledge and resources. You may indeed have a gun that is a $100,000-$200,000 gun, and priceless as to its' historical significance. If you treat it that way you'll be in the right frame of mind when you handle it.

Last edited:

I do not see where you live. If your home has significantly different humidity than where the gun has been stored, it should have a long period of gradual acclimation. Years ago the Smithsonian acquired a collection out of New Mexico & had it in a controlled glass case to adjust to DC humidity over a period of (as I recall) two years.

How will you transport the musket? Custom plywood crate? By car? By air? Any overnight layovers enroute back home? Special insurance? Armed guard?

Looks like possible logistical complications. Hope you sort it out. Best wishes. Dave

Question: do those high profile online appraises do good? Was considering using one to try and get it appraised for insurance purposes.

E24CE858-76EF-4EFE-9563-88AADCEA32F1.jpeg
E24CE858-76EF-4EFE-9563-88AADCEA32F1.jpeg
D9933443-EB84-4798-8C48-3493EE0CB051.jpeg
21CD246C-A043-448D-9729-D3D382F24064.jpeg
16E96D9A-4FAF-41C3-8982-59BBCF732CD3.jpeg

Attachments

• 408F9A0D-09DF-495A-AC4B-8D0ECEBF8341.jpeg
    408F9A0D-09DF-495A-AC4B-8D0ECEBF8341.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 11745347-B90D-4BA6-B750-4B2CAB2E9A33.jpeg
    11745347-B90D-4BA6-B750-4B2CAB2E9A33.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 78